• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations for A64 (paging flapperhead)...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Odie812

Hey everyone,

I am setting up a new A64 setup very soon and I'm worried that my Mushkin CH-5 isn't going to cut it with only 2.85 volts to work with on my MSI K8N Platinum (The chip is a Clawhammer 3200 rev. CG).

I'm sure that a volt mod would allow me to keep my timings and "FSB" with my current memory, but I don't feel comfortable modding my board, and there isn't really a safe volt mod yet for the K8N Platinum.

So, what are my options? Obviously something that will allow me high clocks with 2.85 volts or less. OCZ EB 3700 is at the top of my list (though I feel sickly spending $360 for memory). What else?

Thanks,

Odie :)

EDIT: What about this stuff?

Last edited:
I would not suggest high speed DIMMS. Try not to stray from BH5/6, TCCD or mT -5B C. Read this thread for some excellent value picks. Try not to focus on high speeds as much as high timings, although Micron based modules such as the OCZ should provide both.

Gautam,

Yes, I've been following that thread closely. Just bought a gig of it.

Got 'em coming second day air. :)

Thanks,

P.S. YGPM

Nice, very good choice. You're lucky to have CH5 like that, though. My CH5 stick won't even POST with 3.3v. :(

unfortunately im not real familiar with the a64 setups, but i dont think u could go wrong with some of the buffalo/micron -5bc chips.. also i personally like the ocz eb pc3700. anandtech got like ddr524 on 2.85 volts! thats almost pc4200 speeds... good luck with ur purchase and lets us know how well it runs... flapper

Okay, I've just been looking through the posts in the memory forum about A64 setups and memory, and it's just a complete mindblow that the only memory doing well in these systems is OCZ EB!

All of the Micron stuff (Crucial, Buffalo, etc..) is potentially good, but not nearly getting the results that OCZ's is. A64 doesn't care as much for BH-5, it doesn't care as much for low latency as NForce2, and it doesn't care very much for high latency PC4000+ memory either.

So, I ask then, what the #$%^ is necessary to get a decent overclock in the NForce 250 chipset?

If this Buffalo Micron 5B -C stuff doesn't work out (which it hasn't, so far), I'm going to be looking for a memory solution which won't cost me $350. Anyone have any ideas of where to start looking?

only other thing i can think of for cheap besides the buffalo would be something like the komusa adtata pc4200 hyperram. then run ur ratio 5/6 and see if that works.. 1 guy last winter ,maxvala did that to a single channel a64 setup and it ran well...

I had no idea whether to post this in one of the three or four Micron 5B -C threads going, but thought this was appropriate as well.

A guy over at the MSI forums with a K8N Neo Plat has posted results with his PC4000 Ballistix....

Just received my crucial pc4000 after searching high and low for a stick of ram that will work on this board, i think i have finaly found it the board seems a lot more stable than any other ram ive tryed and ive tryed most of them corsair,ocz adata

my board is now running 260 cas 2.5,3,3,8
sandra mem bw is 3995/3996

Needless to say, I've RMA'ed my Buffalo and bought a gig of this to try. Free 2nd day shipping and a 4% discount right now. It's cheaper than OCZ and it seems like it runs better so far.

We'll see..

That looks interesting indeed. Thing is, I believe Ballistix is single sided, which is awesome A64 speaking...

Module Details:

* Module Size: 512MB
* Package: Ballistix 184-pin DIMM
* Feature: DDR PC4000
* Configuration: 64Meg x 64
* DIMM Type:
* Error Checking: Non-parity
* Speed: DDR500
* Voltage: 2.8V
* SDRAM Timings:CL=2.5

"The PC3200 modules may run at PC4000 speeds at CL2.5, but we will not guarantee it. They are basically the same parts, but PC4000 rated parts have a higher failure margin.
The number of chips depends on the capacity of the module. The 256MB modules are single sided, and the 512MB modules are double sided.
"

:cry:
Got me all excited.

Back