• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need recommendations for a new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DRAM configuration tab. Your timings should be located here. Pictures would help of the CPU-Z SPD tab and the bios DRAM configuration tab.

Then I gotta do a little research on the QVL for your memory as well. So I need make and model of memory.

Then we tweak her up. You may have to OC from 1600 to get 1866. It's a decent jump in frequency. Might have to hit the IMC voltage with a hammer too. This is the CPU/NB voltage. But we'll try to get it to post 933 without increasing bus frequency first.

A lot of people say FX IMC is weak, but it's not entirely true. I've seen these chips running effective 1333mhz which is DDR3 2666.

Alright man, sounds good.

Currently my gpu is in RMA so I don't have a running machine atm. I'm just patiently waiting to see what is going on and when I get it back I'm going to do a complete clean reinstall of windows. Once I have everything set up and ensure it is all stable then I will provide you with all the information you will need so we can tackle this project, but bear with me as I temporarily put this on the back burner because it's going to take a few days or a week to get the card back.

However, if you want to help me out in the meantime I could use your input on another issue from a different thread of mine.

That is the thread about my malfunctioning GPU. I don't expect you to read through the whole thing, but if you could read the problem and give me your input it would be appreciated. I did troubleshoot and came to the conclusion that the GPU was at fault, but I'm still kinda of stumped as to what caused it. I know it wasn't a driver issue because I deleted the hard drive partition, recreated then reformatted it and installed windows all over again. I tried multiple driver packages and did a DDU uninstall in between each one, but they all still failed. I could run windows, watch videos, even play browser games and I could even bench the card just fine in 3DMark 11, but anytime I tried to run any D3D modern game it would lock up with the buzzing sound looping through the speakers.

The 990FXA-UD3 R5 has a ton of power saving features in the bios and I think that one of them - either APM or C1E or core C6 state - might have been at fault, but EarthDog and a few others disagreed with me. When I get the card back and do another clean reinstall of windows I'm thinking of going into the bios and turning off all power saving features except Cool 'N Quiet. I would still like to know what you think.

Done. It's probably the processor. We'll find out when you get your new card back. hopefully it's not the cpu. You'll see the post in your GPU thread.

I've never seen a video card loop sounds. I've seen screen tears, black screens and driver drops. But never a lock up and audio looping. The cpu usually handles audio.

Done. It's probably the processor. We'll find out when you get your new card back. hopefully it's not the cpu. You'll see the post in your GPU thread.

I've never seen a video card loop sounds. I've seen screen tears, black screens and driver drops. But never a lock up and audio looping. The cpu usually handles audio.

The 390x has AMD's sound processor doesn't it? If the game he experiences the problem with does support AMD's TrueAudio (I think it's called that...) It isn't a far fetched thing.

The 390x has AMD's sound processor doesn't it? If the game he experiences the problem with does support AMD's TrueAudio (I think it's called that...) It isn't a far fetched thing.

Yea. Like in the gpu thread, I didn't really know that. I don't game on ATI/AMD any more. It's been a long time actually. I'm NV guy. For many reasons, but the Physx in particular turns me on pretty good.

Is there really any reason to game with ATI/AMD any more? Seems price to performance is = to NV but no Physx?

Yea. Like in the gpu thread, I didn't really know that. I don't game on ATI/AMD any more. It's been a long time actually. I'm NV guy. For many reasons, but the Physx in particular turns me on pretty good.

Is there really any reason to game with ATI/AMD any more? Seems price to performance is = to NV but no Physx?

I'm with you, I've been green team since the 6800 GT :p

There are some interesting things I find attractive on the AMD gear, probably the biggest is the same vendor CPU/mobo/GPU. Mantle was a great idea, but now that is filled up into DX12 and the opengl variant. Last thing I like, is AMD is making overtures towards moving to an open source friendly driver environment. I play with Linux daily and that is attractive to me.

All that being said, I had a stint on a 5870m laptop, and had no complaints except for poor manufacturer support. Nothing a modded vbios (with more power states) didn't fix though.

I agree that AMD should get out of the GPU market, they should have merged with NV instead of picking up ATI back in the day. I have owned a GeForce in every series all the way back to the original which came bundled with Kane: Citizen Kabuto to the GTX 300 series. I will stand by NV cards, I only switched to Radeon a few years ago and while I like their cards I'm not completely sold on them.

Performance wise when looking at cards of equivalent series - GTX 980 vs R9 390 - they are pretty much the same except with NV you might get 1-5 FPS. The GeForce aims to deliver more raw speed while the Radeons bring sharper and more crisp image quality to the table. I will say the Radeons perform very well in the 2k market when it comes to visuals not factoring in speed. CUDA is more for programming and professional multimedia applications so the impact on gaming is nil to none and since the target consumer is a limited demographic it really is quite irrelevant. Radeons do just fine without it. If AMD would integrate a co-processor for the hardware acceleration of PhysX then they would really be competitive with NV.

However, I think gaming on AMD chips is far superior to Intel. If AMD was to pull out of the graphics market, or break Radeon development off into a subsidiary, allowing the main division to focus solely on their chips then they would perform much better as a company. They are trying to compete with too many people - Intel & NV - at once which is hurting them.

Well I don't know about competition. Not sure what's involved. I see when a GPU is released it's heavily dependent on a good driver package. And this is difficult for software writers to squeeze more performance for all games with software driver tweaks. Some games do better on either NV or AMD/ATI. And it really depends on a lot of variables.

It would be nice to see AMD put a PPU on their cards for Physx though. It would be quite interesting!

Miss the old 4850x2. Saphire card. Cost me a pretty penny back in the day. It is one regret I have selling that card. It was plain bad-arse. I quad fired it with two single slot 4850's I got for a decent price. It made for a powerful system. Maxed every game on the market at the time.

Those where the days man.

4.jpg

Back