• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

false mbm5 and bios temp readings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superamd

I need to contact Silversinksam, I WILL BE BANNED
Here is my issue, I have my abit kv8-pro and my 2800+ newcastle just screaming right now. The chip and the board are rock solid at 272X9 (2448 mhz) with no voltage increase on the chip. The vcore is reported to be 1.52v which is a little high but nothing out of the normal (1.50 default). Unfortunatly my cpu temp is around 50 at idle and up to 75 under load (reading from mbm5, bios and abit utility). Even if I slow the chip down to stock speeds the temps dont drop that much. Yes, Ive reseated the heatsink twice,used AS ceramique, kept the case open, I even bought a zallman from frys to see if that helped and it only dropped the temps around 1-2 degrees. Heres the weird thing.... the heatsink does not feel hot, a little warm maybe but not hot. Ive had plenty of athlon xp's that run in the mid-40s to low-50s and their heatsink is HOT to the touch. IfI let it prime for a while and then turn it off and quickly take off the heatsink to feel the heatspreader on the chip it doesnt even feel that hot. For getting a reading of 70 in mbm5 and on abit utility you would think that the chip would be hard to even touch, but its just warm. SOOOO, is the mobo just reporting bad temps, or should I be worried about heating issues???.

By the way, it wont fail prime even at 75degrees at 2500mhz lasted like that for 2 hours and I stopped it. Scared me the whole time thinking that the chip would melt at some point.

If possible the best option may be to measure it with a thermometer perhaps? Run the PC under load for a while, quickly shut down and take the hsf off and check the temp.

Or fit some sort of temperature probe near the CPU? Be careful not to let it ruin the Heatsink to CPU contact.

when I do that and feel the chip its not that hot to the touch, I dont have anything to measure it with but I would think if it was running @ 75c it would be hard to even tough.

superamd said:
when I do that and feel the chip its not that hot to the touch, I dont have anything to measure it with but I would think if it was running @ 75c it would be hard to even tough.

Hmm... it might be an issue where CPU heat isnt escaping. A cool heatsink sounds like perhaps thats why the CPU is hot - the CPU isnt releasing the heat to the heatsink? Perhaps possibly a contact issue between the heatspreader and CPU core? I am not too sure as I have a pair of XPs and havent got an A64 (will need to get one at some point, heh).

Ive thought of that, being that it has an integreted heat spreader I wonder if maybe the core is making contact with the heat spreader. more likely I think the the mobo readings are wrong.

Motherboard monitors get the temperatures from the chip on the board, so if anything the board is reading the chip wrong. Hows the air flow in your case? Case temps?

Zatrix- trying to install a new mobo and CPU without reformating your HD? Not going to work. Maybe if your working within the same family of chips/ motherboard models but highly doubtful even with that.

Also don't mean to harp on you but a lot of freeware is very safe compared to expensive software. Spybot, Adware, CPUZ, Prime95, Winmx and a host of others are great programs, with nothing added. AOL isn't cheap yet its probably one of the worst programs ever made. Thankfully I don't have it but many relatives do, its sad the amount of resources AOL takes up while its not even suppose to be running.

Last edited:
Back