• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

either im stupid or my new system is

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demon-eater

Okay im having trouble setting up my new computer I will list everything that i can and then explain what happens

matsonic VIA Apollo mainboard MS8127C FSB up to 200mhz
AMD athlon 1.2ghz fsb 200mhz cpu fan is from my P1 i know i know i need something alot bigger but its all i can fit on it tonite tomorrow im buying a orb..
4x agp 32mb video card
512mb SDRAM

i think thats it

anyway when i go to power it up it sounds like it checking every thing out and all but then my fan starts bucking like and a light on the motherboard starts going with the bucking on my fan and then i get scared and turn it off.. and thats as far as i get for fear that i might screw it all up.. any good ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated email me at [email protected] please and thank you. im new to this board btw

I would shy away from the orb...t-birds get too hot for the orb from what I've read...they're fine for pentiums, but pentiums don't get as hot...

...and welcome to the forum

wait... please dont tell me you have a P1 fan on a Athlon...
Dont DONT do that, DO NOT power that up, it WONT live long...
man, you're lucky its not dead already!!!

an ORB wont work either, no way...
i have two here now, neither is remotely good on a Duron 700...
forget about putting one on a 1.2gig chip m8...

you are making an attempt at an art... but you've missed many important points along the way... cooling is essential...
and not any old stuff will do... man, may as well have nothing on the poor chip at all....

actually right now i don't but i don't leave it on longer than 10 seconds cause it makes weird noises then dies

demon-eater said:
actually right now i don't but i don't leave it on longer than 10 seconds cause it makes weird noises then dies

10 seconds is about 10 seconds too long to go without cooling on that chip. That CPU will be toast before your computer figures out how much RAM it has. The funny noise you are hearing is your chip dying in a blaze (literally) of glory.

"I'm going DOWWWWNNNNNN in a blaze of glory...."

The guys and gal are right. The orb doesn't provide even close to enough cooling for and AMD setup. Don't even run at that speed without proper cooling first. Cooling is EVERYTHING!

but what about THE SUPER ORB thats ok right ?I got the Super Orb and it does just fine I had a little trouble mounting it but after some drilling with my Dremel I think it will work I mean it is not like I am going to overclock anything cuz that would be wrong, right?
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
I was thinking of some way to use that Super Loud A$$ Orb and about the only thing is my Voodoo3 but robjustice has 2 Blorbs for me so put that Super Loud A$$ Orb back on the shelf and smoke some more and try to find a use for it
>>oh welcome to the forums you will have fun cuz it gets pretty funny in here

Last edited:
those 1.2GHz tbirds put out too much heat for even a super orb to be comfy with. it would work...kinda...as long as you don't overclock it.. And I agree with everybody else about your chip going down in flames if you follow your current path.

Might also wanna check power. I've had something like that happen when I had two 300W computers, two monitors, a printer a UPS, a washer, a dryer, and my house fan (the one in the furnace) attached to the same circuit. All of a sudden, when I powered up the second computer, everything started fading in and out. Scared the poop outta me.

ok i just got back from radio shack i bought a heat sink fan because i never had a fan to begin with anyway it doesn't make funny noises anymore but just like before it won't do anything it makes checking type noises. right now all i have in it is a floppy, cpu(possibly fried now.. just grand) and a 32MB agp video card oh and 256mb,512mb, ram but other than that nothing and i cant even get it to start to load up i see nothing!! i need some serious help

Dude take that Radio shack heatsink back. I don't see why people want to spend $90 - $300 on a CPU and want to skimp on cooling. Let me see if I can help you out here.
Heat = bad
Hot CPU = Very bad
Burnt CPU =Sucks very bad

I say spend the cash and go get something like a (I don't know if it will fit a socketA or not but it might) Sk-6 their about $40 pluss tack on a 80mm delta high output and use Artic Silver 2 thermial paste. Its much better than frying your CPU.

Check Plycon.com for good parts.
Most people want to spend big money on Cards and CPu but skimp on the cooling.
I saw a sig once from MrB that said "Loud fans save CPUs"
Its true you have to cool your CPU or you wont be able to OC for crap

duh what are warranties for people.. accidents or malfunctions hello.. thats why you pay extra $9 on something you buy so if anything ever goes wrong you get it fixed or replaced for free!

demon-eater said:
duh what are warranties for people.. accidents or malfunctions hello.. thats why you pay extra $9 on something you buy so if anything ever goes wrong you get it fixed or replaced for free!

Overclocking breaks your warranty and sometimes when you burn one up Overclocking it guess what it burn a pin and your warranty is gone because they know you were overclocking

but i didn't overclock it... and i took out the chip and none of the pins are burned off or is there any visible damage on it...

Last edited:
so what should i tell the guy i bought this off of.. some morron told me i could run it for a few minutes without the proper fan on it.. btw thats why i did what i did tho i thought he was wrong..lol

Back