• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit nf7-s volt mods?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scooter787b

i will be getting a nf7-s here in a few days, and was wondering what volt mods work and dont work?, as ive been reading this forum for a good while, and cant come to one clear answer :(

btw i may be gettin the 2500 mobile soon aswell :clap:

I recommend the Vdd and Vdimm mods, but not the Vtt mod as it has yet to show any improvement in fsb gains over standard Vdimm mod.

Does one REALLY need to do the VDD mod along with the VDimm mod?

I'm ready to do this mod right now, but having trouble finding a tutorial that still hosts its pictures! I see tutorials, but I guess since they're old, the images are now gone. :(

And Dukat, your link isn't working...

Here's a little something, but I want something with bigger pictures and better step-by-step instructions.

i love my nf7-s. Without voltmods i can run my 2600+ XP-M at 2.7Ghz rock stable at 1.95 volts. Im about to recieve my new TCCD mushkin ram which should get things flying. However, i won't be Vmodding anything as this is my main gaiming rig. (also see sig for my other unfortunate accident!! )

Good luck with the clocks man!

EDIT: GREAT LINKS! fantastic!

Last edited:
My NF7 can't hold a stable Vcore, it flutuates about .07v under load and causes instability. It think part of it is due to the small 1200uF caps that are on the Vcore regulation. I want to try and replace mine with some 4700uF caps I salvaged from a PII board. I don't think you'll need to mod any voltages at first untill you start to get to high FSB then you might need to mod your Vmem and chipset voltage. The only mod you might want to try is the droop mod, although that one never worked too well for me so I undid it.
But then again Im not having to much luck with my NF7 OC so you might not want to follow my advice :p
I would realy like to replace my sempron with a mobile XP 2500+

Last edited:
Well, I would take the NF7 outta my fiancee's rig and take pictures, but it's a pain to get back in. I used Dirty_Punk's 3-in-1 voltmods on all three of my NF7's and got good results with them.

Here's a pic of it. It sets the Vdimm at 3.3v, sets the Vtt to track correctly with the higher voltages, and then supposed creates a bit more stable Vdd.

p205544.jpg

Yep, just straight wiring. The Vdd mod isn't required ... it was just meant to stabilize the voltage a bit. But I always figured why not ... it was the easiest out of the three anyway.

The Vdimm mod actually pulls in 3.3v straight from the 3.3v rail, as opposed to other methods where you can only get a max of 3.2v. If you search some old posts in the Abit mobo section here for "Dirty Punk" (or similar ... vB can be a little fickle on its search routines sometimes), you'll probably find some discussion on it. I actually got it off Tictac's site back in the day.

What's the VDD mod for... chipset voltage? And if so... what would my chipset voltage become? If it's gonna break 2.0v, I may need some serious cooling.

I figured I'd need more volts on my chipset if I'm going to rape some 3.3-3.4v bh5 2x256 goodness! (i raised my 3.3v rail to 3.45 on my psu yesterday)

Yeah, the Vdd mod is for the chipset voltage, but it doesn't change/raise the chipset voltage, just stabilizes it a bit. You can always leave it out and just do the Vdimm and VTT mods (need to do VTT if you're doing the Vdimm), but people were saying the Vdd seemed to help a bit back when this mod came out and the NF7's were the hot-ticket item, so I always put it on there for kicks and giggles.

VDD must be the voltage regulator or something for the chipset then I guess...

What's VTT? So just connect straight wire for all three lines shown in diagram (white, green, yellow)?

TIA.

Yep, just connect a wire straight between all those points. Can't remember what VTT is, but I believe it's always supposed to be 1/2 of the Vdimm. At higher Vdimm that what the board supports, it doesn't get set correctly, and the Vtt = Vref makes sure that the Vtt is always equal to 1/2 the Vdimm.

What purpose it serves and why it has to be that way, I don't know - I just wanted 3.3v going into my RAM, and this was one of the easiest effective ways to do it. So when someone said, "you need these others wires to do that safely," I just said, "okey dokey." Folks were getting good results with it, so I didn't delve too deeply into the actual mechanics behind the mod for my own understanding - I was just wanting to know the end result and how folks were achieving it. :)

I looked through some of Dirty_Punk's old posts here, but I didn't see mention of this mod. Some of tictac's old posts might have it in them, though. He had quite a few voltmod methods and results on his old site, but I don't think it's up anymore.

Perl, you PWN! Thanks!

How's your foot? :) And do you want those dots or what?

What a great time for this thread to pop up! I'm going to be doing this too in a couple weeks when I've built up the courage and learned how to solder a bit better.

My foot hurts more today, and the bruise is getting pretty disgusting looking. lol. Even though I told the doc I couldn't afford prescription meds right now, he went ahead and wrote me another prescription for some anti-inflammatories and then more Lortabs, so now I have two prescriptions for Lortabs from both him and my ER doc. Mostly I'm just concerned by the fact that I took the fall on Saturday, and it's Tuesday and I still have no feeling in any of the tissue on the left side of my right heel and ankle. Very weird, but the doc said it oughta be alright if I just stay off it.

And yes, I still want the dots ... I just keep forgetting to log into Paypal every day when I get home from work. :D #1 on my priority list tonight!!

Why don't you get some pain killers and hand em over, so I could take a good ole nap. :)

I'm so eager to do these voltmods, but my parts are at my gf's... I brought the stuff there to keep me occupied. :)

Back