• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit nf7-s volt mods?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Skeith said:
I would realy like to replace my sempron with a mobile XP 2500+

They're a bit of a rare animal now.
I tried looking for one a few months ago (mine has a corner chipped off of the core that keeps growing every time I reseat my block) and only found one store that still carried them.

I just tried the dirty punk mod and I get no POST... mobo and all turns on, but no post.

*edit*
nvm... I removed just the 3.3vdimm mod and I got a POST and all. I redid the 3.3vdimm mod and got it to post, but what happens is weird.

When you turn the PSU, both the red standby light and the red power on light light up (green one slightly dim). Then, what you have to do is short the power switch jumper for 5 seconds until the green LED goes out. Then you short the power switch jumper and the system turns on and POSTs. I measured the dimm slot point #7 and I'm getting 3.396v! :) I set my PSU to a lil above 3.4v and wallah.

In any case, this board that I'm playing with is mcoleg's old mobo. Only the last dimm slot works, and I thought that doing the 3.3v mod may get the first two dimm slots (bank 0) to work, but still no go.

I want dual-channel, so either I'm going to resell this mobo in classies or RMA through Abit. I may be able to send to Abit without paying the $25 cuz the board wasn't working even without any mods, and the only physical modifications does to the board is stick-on heatsinks.

I also got my $25 RMA-ed mobo back today, so I'm gonna play with that. :)

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Hmmm ... my parents Abit NF7-S just stopped working for no reason, so I gave them my old one. I didn't realize I could RMA it for $25. What do I need to do to make that happen?

As a side note, I couldn't get those mods to work on one of my rigs once. Turns out the PSU I had on there had some overvoltage protection (FSP 530W), which is what was preventing it from working. Really through me for a loop for a bit.

Here are those old threads:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=360305

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=360352

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=367262

Okay, I just did the dirty punk 3 in 1 mod to my brand new RMA nf7-s.

Guess what, similar problem... i turn on PSU and both LEDs light up. I have to put my screwdriver to the power switch jumper and hold for 5 sec til they turn off. Then, I put screwdriver to power switch jumper and everything turns on, but no post!!

I checked with DMM and yes 3.4v from the 3.3 line is going to it.

What's up with the 2 LEDs doing that?

Wanna laugh... I'm on the FSP 530w as well. Think it's my PSU or something... makes no sense, though. I'm gonna try to jump my PSU and see if that makes a diff...

:( :( :(

Without the vdimm 3.3v mod I believe it will work, so the problem is that mod.

g0dM@n said:
Okay, I just did the dirty punk 3 in 1 mod to my brand new RMA nf7-s.

Guess what, similar problem... i turn on PSU and both LEDs light up. I have to put my screwdriver to the power switch jumper and hold for 5 sec til they turn off. Then, I put screwdriver to power switch jumper and everything turns on, but no post!!

I checked with DMM and yes 3.4v from the 3.3 line is going to it.

What's up with the 2 LEDs doing that?

Wanna laugh... I'm on the FSP 530w as well. Think it's my PSU or something... makes no sense, though. I'm gonna try to jump my PSU and see if that makes a diff...

:( :( :(

Without the vdimm 3.3v mod I believe it will work, so the problem is that mod.
NF7's (and a lot of other boards) supply voltage to the RAM when the board is powered off through the 5vSB line. By doing the 3.3v to Vdimm mod, you will be feeding Vdimm into the 3.3v line when the board is powered down (hence why the power LED's light).

The Vref=Vtt mod has also been known to kill certain revisions of the board as well iirc.

Yes, I know it's being fed the 3.3v, but I thought the PSU was on standby until you hit the power switch.

In any case, is there any reason why it doesn't POST? I have to hold power down for 5 seconds, then hit power once to finally get it to turn on.

Even though board turns on, I get no video to monitor. :(

Well, I think I just posted a possible reason it's not working - the PSU's overvoltage protection is kicking in. Did you read the above links? Oklahoma Wolf is who told me about the touchy nature of the FSP 530W. My LEDs would come on, but my fans would never spin.

Do you have another PSU you can hook up to it and see if it posts? When I did mine, it would never post with the FSP 530W, but if I stuck an Antec TrueBlue 420W on it, it came right up every time.

PerlAddict said:
Well, I think I just posted a possible reason it's not working - the PSU's overvoltage protection is kicking in. Did you read the above links? Oklahoma Wolf is who told me about the touchy nature of the FSP 530W. My LEDs would come on, but my fans would never spin.

Do you have another PSU you can hook up to it and see if it posts? When I did mine, it would never post with the FSP 530W, but if I stuck an Antec TrueBlue 420W on it, it came right up every time.
Guess what! I'm back at my gf's and brought everything I needed to work with this, and I FORGOT A REPLACEMENT PSU!!! I have like 5 extra PSUs at home, and completely forgot!! :(

PerlAddict said:

not trying to thread jack here, but would this problem happen to the AX500-A?

scott d said:
not trying to thread jack here, but would this problem happen to the AX500-A?
Only one way to find out, buddy.

The mod is so easy, though... just you're going to have to get behind your mobo.

g0dM@n said:
Only one way to find out, buddy.

The mod is so easy, though... just you're going to have to get behind your mobo.

It's all coming apart in a couple weeks anyway, gonna redo my watercooling loop. I guess I could always snip the wires if the mod doesn't work w/ my psu.

YES!!!

Last night I replaced my Fortron 530W PSU with an Enermax 465P-VE and man does it rock now!

Instead of the 3.3v mod, I now replaced it with a DDR Booster. I placed the booster in the first slot and it was hitting a cap. I easily fixed that with a slight remounting of the booster's mosfet heatsink.

I can do SuperPI 4M stable at 240 2-2-2-11 with my 2x256 corsair xms 3200 bh5 set!!!

That's a start man! The cooler that I put on my southbridge broke off b/c of wire tention (my fault), so hopefully redoing it will help...

I do have a question... I did the 3-in-1 mod (but removed the vdimm mod)... do any of them add voltage to the chipset (sounds like a dumb question, but I don't think it does).

I think I need to raise the voltage to the NB chipset so that I can do higher fsb. I found a modded bios in my external 250gb, but don't even know which to use... I just flashed to Merlin's D27 .02 taipan cpc on bios.

My aim is 250x10.5 2-2-2-11... If the vdimm mod is more stable than a ddr booster, I may just resort to that, but I don't think I can adjust my replacement (Enermax) PSU's 3.3v rail.

Good news is I have some results... and if I can do up to superpi 4m stable at 240 dual channel 2-2-2-11, then I can definitely do say 235fsb with ease. It's a good start... just don't know what do to right now to get her higher.

I didn't lap my NB chipset cuz I didn't have sandpaper at my gf's (that's where I have the NF2 to keep me busy at her place), but I did put an AMD K6 HSF on there (or was it a socket PIII heatsink)... definitely a LOT bigger than the stock NB cooler.

When I have the chance, I may redo it in a couple weeks after I get my new hardware from Thermalright (my sp97 hardware is decently stripped).

Feel free to give me any advice!! :)

That 3-in-1 mod shouldn't add any chipset voltage. I believe you can up that pretty easily using the old pencil-mod method and a multimeter to check it, though I never tried it personally, and don't recall what to connect to what with the pencil trace. I remember Sen doing the mod and reading about it back in the day.

I think I can find the chipset voltage mod... I half-AS5/half-epoxided a decent size HSF from an amd k6 to my NB chipset. I didn't lap the chipset though... that's why I'm debating on if I should do the vmod or not to the chipset.

I really would hate to have to take the HSF off the NB and have to lap it now... stupid me was in a rush that I didn't even lap it (cuz I didnt' have sandpaper at the moment).

I think you'd be perfectly fine without lapping. It's always a help, of course, but lapping isn't going to make or break your ability to push volts stabley through the NB. If you've got a fan blowing over it, I'm sure you'll be more than fine.

woot! just got the mods done! I've never soldered before so it required quite a bit of trial and error, but it's done now. It'll be a few days before I can try it out, everything is is pieces awaiting a new case and some new watercooling gear. VERY excited to see how it works out

gl on the restart. I suggest you try boot the board on air outside of the case before you goto all te effort of putting it back together only to find it dosn't work. If it dosn't all you may have to do it redo the mods to get it working again.

ah, if only i knew where my old aircooling gear was, still packed away somewhere....
Prolly gonna do the l12 pin mod too, after I've tested the volt mod. What kind of wire should I use for this? The only stuff I have seems to be too thin, about the size of a hair. Should I use something thicker?

Back