• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refridgerated Case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intraveinous

I've been thinking, but I wanted to ask other people if they've done anything like this before. I've been thinking about converting my old dorm fridge into a case. It would be completely non-portable, but it would be nice and cool. Basically, I'm worried about condesation etc. I remember when I had that thing running in the dorm, there was constantly an inch thick slab of frost/ice on the cooling coil/freezer compartment. I'd be wary of putting my thousand dollars plus worth of computer equipment into that wet of an environment, BUT, when I had that slab of ice, it was when I was storing things like beer and caffeine in the fridge, so I was in and out of there all the time, letting in humid air. I wouldn't be opening the door at all if possible with this setup, I'm planning on mounting the removable disc drives outside the fridge, and running cable extensions for keyboard, mouse, video, sound, etc. So I guess basically my question is, would this work, has anyone had it work, and should I try it?
Peace
John

it would work for a while but condensation would soon ruin your pc, if you really wanted to do this what you could do is this:

Take a LOT of rice or "humid-sucking" substence such as those goof-balls, or whatever they are called, those things you put in shes or it even comes with HDs to keep a minimal moisture. But I mean a LOT, you sould get a bucket of those and stick them all around the case, that should hold a bit, then replace them every month I guess.

Or put a container of coolant inside the fridge, and use it as a resevoir for a kick-*** watercooled system. you can watercool whatever you can fit a waterblock onto....
attachment.php

Actually, the "Computerator" has been done. I just don't remember where. There was a link to it in one of the forums a while back. If I can find it, I'll post it for you.

Yeah, I had a look for it, but couldn't find it.

Chap took a chest freezer, filled it with antifreeze, chucked in a submersible pump, and ran the coolant through his waterblock.

He was getting some incredably low temps from it.......

Wa11y said:
Actually, the "Computerator" has been done. I just don't remember where. There was a link to it in one of the forums a while back. If I can find it, I'll post it for you.

I rember reading about this somewhere too, the guy used a small bar fridge or something, if i can rember correctly he also had a water cooling setup too, with the resivoir in the little freezer part of the fridge, frost on the cpu block as i rember it

i ran a duct from one of my air conditioning vents into the side of my case near the bottom with my air cooling setup for negative pressure, i got condensation on the outside of my case, i dunno if that helps you

Back