• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

90nm Athlon64 FX due Q4 this year !?!?! (updated AMD roadmap)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PowerK

Registered
found an updated(?) AMD roadmap (unofficial) in this thread at Xtreme sys.

At first glance, it seems that 130nm Socket 754 chips are like 0.18µ Palominos (Palomino never made the transition to 0.13µ, Thoroughbreds did.) But T-Breds were made for the same socket and the 90nm chips would be Socket 939.

All talk is that Socket 754 mobo owners will be 'abandoned' because there won't be 90nm Socket 754s, but as you know it is AMD policy not to talk about future chips so it's only speculation (even though it's universal as far as I know) that there won't be 90nm Socket 754 chips.

OC Detective showed me the quote "The current 130nm AMD Athlon 64 FX core is capable of scaling for performance needs for customers for that segment for the remainder of the year."

...and yes back in June, I had the 90nm in Q1 2005.

But now there's talk that shipments (!) of 90nm are ready for Q4 2004 and that's the first month of Quarter 4, no less. I found that hard to believe but after there were multiple sources, 90nm Winchester and San Diego were switched to October 2004.

Yes I believe that there will be one more 130nm FX but then it didn’t make sense whatsoever to have another one if 90nm 55 was coming in October.

It would make sense if 90nm (as originally expected) were to show up in Q1 2005.

Taking into account that there will be a 90nm FX-55, there is a scenario where the 130nm would be released a month early. I don't know. It seems to me that if they do release a 130nm 55, then the 90nm will not arrive in October.
AMD roadmap here.
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

this will be great for AMD! they will finally get their 90nm line up! woohoo!

Now this is a dumb question, and i should know the answer, but if they make the die smaller, the voltage goes Up? or does it go down? just curious.

another thing is will there be heat issues like there is with the preshot? i dont want to have a mongolian BBQ in my case, yet that would be kinda cool! yummy! but if we have to use freaking WC to get decent temps then this would suck, but only if AMD has the same cooling as Intel did when they made the switch.

shard said:
this will be great for AMD! they will finally get their 90nm line up! woohoo!

Now this is a dumb question, and i should know the answer, but if they make the die smaller, the voltage goes Up? or does it go down? just curious.

another thing is will there be heat issues like there is with the preshot? i dont want to have a mongolian BBQ in my case, yet that would be kinda cool! yummy! but if we have to use freaking WC to get decent temps then this would suck, but only if AMD has the same cooling as Intel did when they made the switch.

Voltage goes down if the die gets smaller. requires less voltage to travel a smaller distance.

Watercooling is idealy better anyhow, defently worth the investment, you dont have to go ALL out to get a good watercooling kit either. Asetek Waterchill kit is what I have, I noticed a good performace increase just by upgrading cooling in my case. ITs really noticable..

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-wat-20.html

Does Northbridge, CPU, and GPU for 280 dollars... not too bad in my book. still DEFENTLY worth it.

~Michael

Back