• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skeptic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Skeptical

Im sorry if what im gonna say is gonna offend ne one so im sorry...im just a lil skeptical on the Fold@home and SETI@home ideas...i mean how do u know u arnt getting scammed into giving all this CPU power? might just be that the whole idea is new to me but it just seems...weird. How do u people know for SURE this isnt some gigantic scam? again sorry if anyone is offended...im just skeptical and seeking a lil reassurance because i really do love the idea of Seti@home and Fold@home but im still a lil unsure. :-/

well bro, its not like its robbing my cpu cycles, its a low priority service.

but anyways, do you think stanford (Folding) or berkly(seti) would be scamming people. they are some of the biggest universities in the world.

folding is for humanitiy, it would be very low to scam someone using that kind of objective.

seti on the otherhand i belive to be legit, but i doubt it will ever prove something. we don't even know if that method would help find aliens. and if they were really out there and wanted us to see them, we would be able to with out searching.

I am both skeptical and cynical by nature, my friend, and believe that both (well, at least skepticism ;)) can be helpful in life.

When skeptical of something, I do research to see if it is worthwhile and/or real which means I learn something.

Sometimes I learn that I was right to be a skeptic, but at other times I learn that <whatever it is> is for real, and worthwhile.

Folding and Seti have both proven themselves to me, and many thousands of thousands of others.
Look into them yourself and you WILL learn of the value both projects have- they really are not scams. (Google can be your friend in the search.)

Folding@Home has produced tangible scientific results, although I simply do not know what the end result of them is- I know not if any of them have yet been put directly to medical use.....Following the details to that level is simply more in-depth than I personally choose to go. ;)

Continue to question all things in life- it is how we learn. :)

not only that... um what would they be stealing from me? i mean even if i loose my cpu cycles what would happen? or are you saying they might be using our cpus to like break a code are something?

You need to weigh your options bro.

OK on the one hand, you have the chance that someone is "scamming" (I'm not really sure what that would consist of) you and the least that you will lose is the small amount of power from your PC being on as a worst case scenario.

On the the other hand, you have a chance at helping save millions of lives, curing disease, and extending a healthy life for you and your fellow humans. (not to mention the wonders of unlocking the secrets of what makes Life work...)

Weigh those 2 options together and I choose Folding@Home hands down. :cool:

jcw122 said:
Im sorry if what im gonna say is gonna offend ne one so im sorry...im just a lil skeptical on the Fold@home and SETI@home ideas...i mean how do u know u arnt getting scammed into giving all this CPU power? might just be that the whole idea is new to me but it just seems...weird. How do u people know for SURE this isnt some gigantic scam? again sorry if anyone is offended...im just skeptical and seeking a lil reassurance because i really do love the idea of Seti@home and Fold@home but im still a lil unsure. :-/

Hey, you're not alone on this one. Even if well fronted, there is literally no 100% proof that the computer power we're supplying isn't also being used for a different agenda. Even if the entire folding community stands out front and says "no sinister agenda" it doesn't mean proof.

There is no way to know. Its more a question of faith, what do you WANT TO BELIEVE?

Other people like myself, tend to believe, that solving the mystery of misfolding proteins isn't just a key to curing disease, it might just as well be the key to the birth of entirely new diseases.

So in general... I go with the flow, and hope for the best. I might be helping someone do a new flu virus, that'll kill 50 million people, but then again, thats just part of our evolution.

Cheers, Flix

You can very well be skeptical but what about???? They arnt scamming us out of anything.... there is a reason these programs work and thats because its our UNUSED cpu cycles which no one gives a c*** about anyways. So yea if your paranoid dont do it but all they really would be stealing is something already there... thats like trying to claim someone stole your air

well, every single person I try to convince to fold is skeptical, so I guess it's quite alright for you to be. But take it from everyone folding here, theres nothing to worry about.

fl0w said:
well, every single person I try to convince to fold is skeptical, so I guess it's quite alright for you to be. But take it from everyone folding here, theres nothing to worry about.

Hmm. Scam. If this is a scam then I have to be one of the biggest suckers out there. Please realize that such major players as, Google, Intel, and Maximum PC Magazine, are behind this 100%. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. As stated earlier, study it for yourself and arrive at your own conclusion. That's all any of us can do.

Back