• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why to build you own!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Franchize

Funny but sad story people. I was just ripping the old heatsink off my old AMD slotA to cut up for south and mosfets. The one that died in less that a year after getting raped by some online dealer.( Young and dumb then)

Well anyway, I rip out the heatsink ........Here's the funny part ...... the thermal pad still had the sticker on it!!!!

I cant believe that I actual paid someone to build that system, which most 12 year olds could easily do. (wit some help from the forums at least)

Except that most 12 year olds actully cant.... you should count the number of users on this forum before making a statement for that haha. the overclocker/enthusiest market is like 10% TOPS of the overall industry. im thinking closer to 5-6%. the rest all buy system prebuilt from mass marketers so that they can get a warantee. sure, you got burned but heh. that machine was under warantee wasnt it? if you dont touch it, they are obligated to do repairs and stuff.

however, a lot of people know a guy who knows a guy haha. so the stores are doing pretty bad atm. Myself, I build systems for people i know. i charge a little more than they could get from the stores, but they get a rock solid quality system instead of some slapped together celeron.

most people 12-21 these days are potheads, they dont know how to build a system ha ha. which is probably why no computer store hired me in my youth <_<. long hair, in high school still ha ha.

I agree, its advisable to build a system yourself. but not all people are as comfortable with computers as we are. stuff may only go in one way, but they dont know that ;)

Valk, I'm not sure what teens are like in Canada but in the states we're not all pot heads. I also built my first system when I was 12. I guess I'm just something special :p

Anyway, a lot of people are just into the computer biz for the money. It takes some tact to do something right now-adays. I feel for ya though. My friend had a second hard drive installed at ChumpUSA & they used one screw. That drive crashed before anyone knew.

I live in america.
I only know 3 people who aren't potheads, other than myself.
Yes, it is sad.

now a days all there is out ther besides us is a bunch idiots, that will try to squeeze as much money as they can out of you, for the least amoutn of sevice, is downright rediculus!

Along the same lines....

I have a buddy that works for best buy in the car audio install section. He doesnt know much at all about car audio, and I personally wouldnt want him to touch the install (i did) on my truck. And as far as taking stuff in to shops, I personally would never take my babies (computers, hehe) into anywhere and have them worked on. I got a laptop the other day at best buy and they said they would look over it for free to make sure it wasnt dead. I was very relucktant, but my parents convinced me. I guess I do know more then the average joe about computers though, but oh well.

Oh, btw... I built my first when I was like 14 or 15. My claim to fame was I taught myself html/java and coded my first webpage the summer before my 6th grade year.

Well cookies, medals/awards for all of you that had the opportunity to build a computer when you were 10-14 years old.

Actually, most people don't give two "fits" about computers. Thats why they goto a store & buy a PC. 99% of the people I talk to (which is a WIDE variety) can't follow one word I say when I say something technical about a PC, nor do they care. If it's complicated & can't be figured out with in minutes, then most don't care to learn it. Sad thing about that is computers are here to stay & computers are revolutionizing the way we live. And to ignore that fact makes you more ignorant then Hitler.

Jump on the horse or get trampled by it.

obsolete said:
Well cookies, medals/awards for all of you that had the opportunity to build a computer when you were 10-14 years old.

Actually, most people don't give two "fits" about computers. Thats why they goto a store & buy a PC. 99% of the people I talk to (which is a WIDE variety) can't follow one word I say when I say something technical about a PC, nor do they care. If it's complicated & can't be figured out with in minutes, then most don't care to learn it. Sad thing about that is computers are here to stay & computers are revolutionizing the way we live. And to ignore that fact makes you more ignorant then Hitler.

mmm... cookie, could really use one of those right about now. Anyway, I agree w/ what you are saying. People I talk to are just like I dont care when I start getting "technical" (as they say). The thing that gets me is half the time, the thing that I am trying to explain is actually pretty simple. Simple enough for the person to basically understand anyway. I guess what I mean is that the majority of computer users dont care how it works or what goes into it even. I guess it goes along w/ what you said: if it takes too long, they wont do it. I have to admit though, I am lazy and that does apply for me with a few things... hehe :)

Syx said:
I live in america.
I only know 3 people who aren't potheads, other than myself.
Yes, it is sad.

Yeah, that is some what true. Whats even funnier/sad is that the private catholic school kids are always the biggest drunks/druggies. Also, we always tried to get encarnite word (all girls school) girls to come to our parties b/c most were pretty promiscuous. hehe :D

Wanted to say that I'm not saying I'm smarter or greater (anything along those lines) then anyone else. I'm more less just saying people don't apply themselves. I know most of the 99% I talk to could grasp the concept of a computer pretty well. It's just they don't, cause it's a computer & it's for geeks & most/some people just want to go home & watch TV........

I'm guilty of not applying myself in many ways. I'm not perfect by any means. But, I will listen & show interest in something I don't understand. Complicated or not.

i build my own coz i got fed up of my mum getting ripped off when i was younger now i can buy a top of the line comp for less plus get to overclock it :D

not saying my comps top of the line now :(

Valk said:
most people 12-21 these days are potheads, they dont know how to build a system ha ha. which is probably why no computer store hired me in my youth <_<. long hair, in high school still ha ha.

I both disagree and agree with that statement. I know a lot of people 12-21 who aren't potheads, and I live in Socal. Ah well.

I do like building my own systems; it gives me control of just what goes in it. And it's fun.

shard said:
^^^^
lol

the same is here in tremonton, either they are potheads, or they are to stupid to live

well, where i live, US, there are potheads, potheads too stupid to live, and then the people that act like they are potheads and drunks, but they arnt, sounds a lot like highschool doesnt it?

my friend builds computers for people. he buys stuff off newegg, and makes the computer. for instance, he got a case, only to find there was a huge gash in the bottom. what did he do? RMA the case, get a new one? no, he tapes it and gives it to the helpless little old lady.

Franchize said:
Funny but sad story people. I was just ripping the old heatsink off my old AMD slotA to cut up for south and mosfets. The one that died in less that a year after getting raped by some online dealer.( Young and dumb then)

Well anyway, I rip out the heatsink ........Here's the funny part ...... the thermal pad still had the sticker on it!!!!

I cant believe that I actual paid someone to build that system, which most 12 year olds could easily do. (wit some help from the forums at least)

the 12 year olds that can actually do it might be offended by that comment. lol. :temper: :D

obsolete said:

I agree with you 100% on this. I have far too many times considered going into business for myself here in victoria selling custom rigs. i know a lot of people who do it and make a decent living. here, we have like 4 major stores, and all of them have a pretty bad rep for phucing the customer blind.

but its so true just how many people know **** about this subject

I wish i had money when i was 12 to build a pc. i didnt build my first computer untill i was liek 16... and had a full time job <_< that really sucked. both the job and the computer ha ha. im 22 now and still have a bit of a time buying stuff to build myself. but people like me appreciate the do it yourselfness of being an enthusiest somewhat more. i mean gizmos tried to sell me a p4 3.2 ghz *gaming* machine the other day when i was looking for cheap *** video cards... they wanted $2500 for it. p4 3.2 ghz, 2x256 mb dual channel XD oooooh, Radeon 9600xt and 120 gb storage... my god... i paid $500 for my XP and it was probably better!
ah well. its true, lots of people do it for the money. what scares me the most though, is that those are still the people the customers will trust. they have been in the business for years and years.
you can always trust a disshonest person to be disshonest.

Back