• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon64 3200...whats the best mobo for it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Hey every1...im planning to build a system with an Athlon64 3200 in it. What is THE best mobo to get for it? or whats a good brand to go with

uhmm, I think he was asking about Athlon 64's......I woudl assume he wanted a good motherboard for overclocking and one that has features that he needs.

The GigaByte is still a good answer in that case. But the Abit and the Epox boards have been yielding the best so far. Their 250gb based boards offer the highest voltages and best overclocking from what I understand. Also keep in mind that DFI is set to release their Lan Party version very soon and if its anything like the nforce2 boards they will do very good as well.

I like the epox 8kda3j quite a bit. Nice and cheap and oc's great. Just needs vdim mod and the modded 7/16 bios that gives 1.85vcore.

Although, the dfi board seems like it will be by far the best 754 mobo. Opptainer says it is the best mobo he has ever used, and it should be around some time in august.

gouda96 said:
I like the epox 8kda3j quite a bit. Nice and cheap and oc's great. Just needs vdim mod and the modded 7/16 bios that gives 1.85vcore.

Although, the dfi board seems like it will be by far the best 754 mobo. Opptainer says it is the best mobo he has ever used, and it should be around some time in august.
what vdimm mod do you need to do to the 8kda3j? and when exactly is this dfi mobo supposed to come out? i'm about to make the leap into a64 right now i would get the 8kda3j because i heard it oc's great but i wasn't aware of the need for a mod and i can wait till the dfi comes out if its supposed to be that good and as long as the wait is not too long ;)

I will get links to a few threads from xs. This board has a terrible vcore, but someone has modded the bios and supposedly made it better. The vdim is also very low to begin with(2.7v max I think) and some are getting an actual max of 2.5 so vdim mod would be necessary to many. Many of the epox boards are also having problems doing over 300 htt. Many of them seem to lock up between 295-305 when they are 100% prime stable just 1mhz lower.

There is no deffinate date that I am aware of for the dfi board, but it should come out at the end of August, or early September. It should be a much better board than the epox. The voltage options are incredible(2.2vocre, and 3.2vdim...I think...), It has multiplier adjustments by the 1/2 all the way down to 4 or 5 as apposed to the epox which has a minimum of 8( dfi multi goes like 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, etc.), it also has a bunch of mem dividers such as 10/9 and other advanced memory tweaking options and the epox only has max mem speed settings of 200/266/133. Being that it is often impossible to get over 300htt stable with the epox and someone has already done 425 htt with the dfi that is something to consider.

I have been a big epox fan for the last few years, but I am just sick of all their problems (had 3 4pca3+'s die for no reason, and the 8kda3j is so overloaded with bugs it is absurd) and have heard such good things about dfi over the last few months with their socket a lan party and infinity boards that I have wanted to try them for quite a while. Once the epox tech over at aoaforums started being a complete jerk I decided that I am done with epox for now, and personally I can't wait to get my hands on that dfi board.

edit->Epox bios thread.

epox vdim and vcore mod thread

DFI board thread

gouda96 said:
I will get links to a few threads from xs. This board has a terrible vcore, but someone has modded the bios and supposedly made it better. The vdim is also very low to begin with(2.7v max I think) and some are getting an actual max of 2.5 so vdim mod would be necessary to many. Many of the epox boards are also having problems doing over 300 htt. Many of them seem to lock up between 295-305 when they are 100% prime stable just 1mhz lower.

There is no deffinate date that I am aware of for the dfi board, but it should come out at the end of August, or early September. It should be a much better board than the epox. The voltage options are incredible(2.2vocre, and 3.2vdim...I think...), It has multiplier adjustments by the 1/2 all the way down to 4 or 5 as apposed to the epox which has a minimum of 8( dfi multi goes like 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, etc.), it also has a bunch of mem dividers such as 10/9 and other advanced memory tweaking options and the epox only has max mem speed settings of 200/266/133. Being that it is often impossible to get over 300htt stable with the epox and someone has already done 425 htt with the dfi that is something to consider.

I have been a big epox fan for the last few years, but I am just sick of all their problems (had 3 4pca3+'s die for no reason, and the 8kda3j is so overloaded with bugs it is absurd) and have heard such good things about dfi over the last few months with their socket a lan party and infinity boards that I have wanted to try them for quite a while. Once the epox tech over at aoaforums started being a complete jerk I decided that I am done with epox for now, and personally I can't wait to get my hands on that dfi board.

edit->Epox bios thread.

epox vdim and vcore mod thread

DFI board thread
well i will wait for the dfi but tell you the truth you aren't missing much with the old dfi infinity series. it has undervolting issues like crazy and cold/warm boot problems.

Yeah, I have heard about that. Sounded like if you got a good one though, they could realy fly. I think there was also a droop mod for the undervolting, but I am not sure. My nf7 realy sucks though with 214 fsb max. Hopefully mods will help that though...if I can ever get them taken care of.

edit-> Forgot to tell you guys, the 754 dfi board works with the ocz booster. I am not sure the max vdim it supports, but judging by BigToe's results it is enough.

Hm...none. I wouldn't touch VIA and they don't have an nf3 250 board. ABIT has gone dramatically down hill after they lost their best bios engineer to DFI. Cause or coincidence, DFI's products have become dramatically better? After my experiences with the max3 I will be staying away from abit until I see that they have gotten things together.

The DFI will be the best nf3 250 board without a doubt. The chaintech is okay and the epox is pretty good, but has many bugs.

i have the giga board with the sis 760 great board,good bang for your buck.very fast even with no ocing.add ocing and it screams. :D

gouda96 said:
Hm...none. I wouldn't touch VIA and they don't have an nf3 250 board. ABIT has gone dramatically down hill after they lost their best bios engineer to DFI. Cause or coincidence, DFI's products have become dramatically better? After my experiences with the max3 I will be staying away from abit until I see that they have gotten things together.

The DFI will be the best nf3 250 board without a doubt. The chaintech is okay and the epox is pretty good, but has many bugs.

I will give the DFI a try then,been away for a while so just getting caught back up..Thanks.

Back