• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX5200XT or X300SE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IiviIoFoZ

Registered
My cuzin is looking forward to buying a new pc. He is not into overclocking and he is not into building his own comp so pl pls dont suggest that. Anyhow yes he buying a pc from Hewlet Packard. Now there are 2 hes really taking a look at.

1.) A64 3200 Clawhammer,FX5200XT/PC2700 RAM

2.)2.8E,X300SE pci-e x16/PC3200

I will be ocing both vid cards for him and no THIS IS what he wants to buy i Just want to know the overall faster package and better gaming system. As I heard from some people The X300SE is like a 9600SE, so If I can hopefully flash it to a X300XT which work at 128bit and oc it from there I can get around the performance of a 9600XT. However I also heard the FX5200 OC very well. Yes these cards arent the best,no hes not gonna upgrade just gimme your thoguhts. :cool:

As far as I am aware Athlon64s are generally better for games. However, you will want PC3200 RAM for the Athlon64, not PC2700.

It would be #2

Why? A64's are still in their infancy, and if he's not into tinkering, it's not worth it.

TBH - neither of those systems is particularly great, he should look at a Barton-based system, with a mid-range GFX card (9600XT/5700-whatever).

If your cousin wants a new PC, he'd be better buying from someone else (unless he gets some sort of special discount from HP). I had a nosey at the HP website, and their PC's have a pretty poor spec (apart from the Compaq Xtremes)

man, they give u a good processor with ****ty ram and vid card, then a slower processor with superior vid card and ram. If I were at gunpoint I'd have to say 2.8E,X300SE pci-e x16/PC3200, but ultimately I'd say neither, he/you can do better for the same price I'm sure, just keep looking.

IMO i'd atleast go dell. Those two HP's are crap for specs. Dell atleast matches CPU FSB with memory FSB lol.

Dell sux too (everything is too proprietary and integrated, no expansion slots). If you don't care about cash and don't want to build yourself, go to alienware, if cash is a prob then go to e-machines

I will be ocing both vid cards for him and no THIS IS what he wants to buy i Just want to know the overall faster package and better gaming system. As I heard from some people The X300SE is like a 9600SE, so If I can hopefully flash it to a X300XT which work at 128bit and oc it from there I can get around the performance of a 9600XT. However I also heard the FX5200 OC very well. Yes these cards arent the best,no hes not gonna upgrade just gimme your thoguhts.
You can't flash the x300se to a x300xt. That x300se will never come close to the performance of 9600xt. A 9600se is a poor excuse of a graphics card. Never waste money on a card that has 64-bit memory. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-514&depa=1 ATI is just hoping people get led on by their jargon. The only se card I would buy is a 9800se 256-bit version. You will be much happier with that. At stock it is supposed to be like a 9600xt, or so I'm told. We have one at home and it is great. With any luck you can unlock the extra pipelines and have a 9800 pro for all practical purposes. Here it is only $20 more than the x300se. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-249&depa=1

I agree with Quailane... Those video cards can not be overclocked from horrible to great. The 5200 is probably one of the worse cards ever put on the market, and I dont even know anything about the other one, but if they're saying its like a 9600se, then I would stay away from it.

I would probably take the P4 since it seems like it has overall newer things in it. But I would NEVER buy either.

In general ATI cards with SE after them = BAD BAD BAD NVIDIA cards with XT after them =BAD BAD BAD. ATI cards with PRO or XT after them=GREAT NVIDIA cards with ULTRA after them=GREAT. Anything else is middle of the road

Back