• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uses for Old Computers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

th3n3w5up3rh3r0

Registered
I have 2 older computers at my house(p2 350Mhz, and a celeron 500Mhz) They work fine the only bad part is they have small hard drives(4Gb each). Without spending a lot of extra money what could I use them for?

Folding (well, maybe not with the P2 350, may not work fast enough to make it worthwhile), Smoothwall, Learn Linux, donate to a school if they want it, small file server (although I don't know what 8 gigs is really going to bring you).

Linux Linux Linux.... Just even installing linux on those will start your penguin addiction... trust me... those boxes are perfect for bsd or gentoo or debian... give it a shot cause then if you get a linux install you can use them for routers, firewall, dhcp servers etc....

Oh yeah, penguin addiction. I have a P3 600, a P2 400, and a P2 233 all transformed into linux boxes. One of them is my personal FTP, while all three fold all day all night. I'm not sure if/when there might be a linux standalone for Doom 3, but hopefully the 600 Mhz one can double as a game server when I get back to school in the autumn.

Many organizations accept donations of used computers for either use with the disadvantaged or to sell for money.

im hosting a local 8 man d3 server on a tbird 1ghz with 768 ram and two raided 20GB drives and it works great

I run Win XP pro on my 250mhz PII w/372mb PC133 and use it to browse the web and for foobar2000. I even had XP Pro running at *gasp* 133mhz and 64mb PC66. With 64mb of ram it's unusable, but with 372mb it runs very well @ 190mhz and above. Even better than it did with Win 98. BTW, the PII has a 2gb drive + a 3 gb drive. XP is installed on the 2gb drive and I use the 3gb drive for storage and the swap file.

just pack a little bit of explosives all around the case, put in a water cooling setup, but instead of water, put in gas, connect 2 wires to the ps to the power switch, then from the switch, connect 2 wires to the explosives. have a LONG stick to get as far away as possible for pressing the power switch. press and run.

You could use C4 or thermite for the explosives.

or you could buy 144 bottle rockets and point them in random directions in the case and have the fuse connected to the thermite, then press and run

My friend purhcased 2 old systems from the local gov. and he ripped the drive bays out as well as the pci card holders for use in a wooden case.

The remains I'm going to be using in experimenting with case modding. :)

Back