• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Cyberdrive CDRW won't work with 8RDA3+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repo man11

Just as the title says. My beloved 8K3A+ has some bulging caps, so I decided to upgrade to the 8RDA3+. But it refuses to work with my Cyberdrive CDRW . It halts on "Detecting IDE Drives" if I have the cable plugged in. Once I unplugged the cable from that drive, it worked with no problem, and I installed Windows using my DVD drive.

I had the latest firmware installed, so I tried rolling back to an earlier version. I installed it on a spare system to do so. It detected it with no problems at all. Changing the firmware made no difference. It will not get past the POST screen with that drive connected. I can't even get into the CMOS settings.

With the drive unplugged, I disabled UDMA on that channel, but the system still halted once I plugged the IDE cable in again.

I realize that CDRW drives aren't very expensive, but I'm unemployed right now, so I'd like to find a way to make this one work with my new motherboard. It worked great on my 8K3A+, my KT7A, and on the GA-5AA I used to roll back the firmware.

I've tried different IDE cables, jumper settings, alone on that IDE channel, and in combination with my DVDROM. Nothing so far has worked.

Any ideas?

well did you pick up a CS cable maybe that is the problem. I would put it as sec slave to your dvd drive. Does that make your dvd drive sec master stop working? I also think when you flashed it the first time something may have gone wrong so before you start try it in a friends pc as master. Also remove all the UDMA jumpers since UDMA should work for almost everybody.

goodluck

Thanks for replying, but I think I'm screwed. Just to be clear, I was burning backups just before I took my system down to swap motherboards.

I originally used the same cable and jumper settings (both one one cable, CDRW master, DVD slave) as I had been using with my 8K3A+. I started getting a little panicked when it would get to the POST screen and halt for no apparent reason. It took a while before I discovered that unplugging my CDRW allowed it to actually boot. I used my DVDROM to install Windows, and I've been using it that way since.

There is only one jumper with three positions, and I've tried all three with no success.

I tried disabling UDMA in the CMOS settings.

I also updated the motherboard's BIOS hoping tht might do the trick, but it made no difference.

I guess until I can afford a new one, I'll have to install it in my backup system, and use the network to transfer files I want to burn to that computer.

Computers.

That wouldn't explain why it works in other computers just fine. Or why the DVDROM works fine with my new motherboard, as it was run at the high PCI bus just as long as the CDRW.

I think it is a bug in the BIOS, or some sort of incompatibility with the Nforce chipset.

repo man11 said:
That wouldn't explain why it works in other computers just fine. Or why the DVDROM works fine with my new motherboard, as it was run at the high PCI bus just as long as the CDRW.

I think it is a bug in the BIOS, or some sort of incompatibility with the Nforce chipset.

Could it be a faulty IDE cable?

I've tried two different cables. Both work with the DVD, neither works with the CDRW. It is a weird one.

Back