• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case LCD mod, need assistance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exempt

Hey there, I have been using a crystalfontz 634 USB lcd, and TWICE Ive had to replace it since the backlight brightness seems to diminish in brightness and contrast after about 3-4 months. I get very tired and upset that I have to take it out and send it back, wait a few weeks just to replace it. Now originally, I would have blamed myself, saying that the onboard USB pins are recieving some over voltage due to the high overclock, but Ive seen many others out there use these same LCDs on some high overclock systems, and also I have changed mobo types and brands about 3 times since I originally owned these LCDs, also I dont believe overclocking would increase the voltage for the USB ports as well, otherwise all my other USB devices would have failed as well. Im beginning to think its a known problem with them, and just not announced as a known problem by Crystalfontz. My computer is seen here:

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/exempt-kindablurry.jpg

My question is, I want to purchase a LCD that will take up two 5.25 bay devices and either display a full image of whats on my monitor, games, movies e.t.c, so far I have looked at these as an option, but I woulndt know how to power them correctly:

http://www.onthegoaudio.com/Video/index.htm

please any help from people that have case LCDs, any suggestions would be appreciated.

well, i don't claim to have any first hand experience in this matter, but i checked and all those lcds are powerd by 12v dc. basically that means you can just hook the lcds power wires up to the 12v and ground lines from a regular old molex connector. You could even take an old one not connected to your psu and connect the wires and then be able to plug it in just like you would a fan. getting the video to work is a different matter, and i don't know anything about that.

Wow that is a very interesting idea you have there. The video display should be RCA, so if you have the adapter for your video card, then you could simply connect it to your video card, and just run the cable inside your pc to the secondary LCD screen. Connect the power to a regular Molex such as suicidal suggested, and you got urself a nice lil mod.

the way to hook these up is through a standard rca jack like one from a ps2 (you know the ones with one yellow wire - video and the red and white audio wires)

so if you have a vid card that supports tv outs you could just hook it up to that and if the output on your vid card and if the output is super video then just go buy an adapter...

Ive seen a few mods on the net before, where people had installed them, I am hoping for a link to somewhere I can purchase the LCD as well. Ive searched all 200+ pages on ebay for a 4" LCD but none of the ones I seen were either in good condition or priced reasonably (under 250$).

Get one of those DVD/LCD kits for cars. I have seen cheap ones for less than 250 and you can like game while you play the Matrix on your lcd or something. :)

suicidalmole said:
umm.....did i miss something or don't you have a link to where you can buy them in ur first post?

He did post a link with prices, seem like they arent too bad either. Maybe he wants to find one a lil cheaper..?

I'm working on the PSOne LCD mod now. My problem comes in at the soldering level. I'm trying to solder 5 wires to a spot on a circuit board about 3/4 of an inch long with about 12 different contact points. The area is crammed as hell, and getting the wires to not arc on multiple points is VERY difficult.

nah you didnt miss anything, the only problem with those LCDs are that they have all different power requirements, and they did not connect to a PC through conventional ways, I was hoping for a solution that I might have overlooked, like a graphical LCD on some computer mod site. also those LCDs do not have their actual dimensions listed, I have sent an email to the seller asking for them, but that still does not cover the part about the power connection.

Back