• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 2800- What core is this stepping??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chachmarach

Hi, I was just looking at an A64 2800+ at a local shop and was wondering what core or revision this is? It is marked ADA2800 AEP4AP, next line is CAAOC 0349MPM. I am thinking it has to be the old Clawhammer and not the Newcastle but thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.

chachmarach said:
Hi, I was just looking at an A64 2800+ at a local shop and was wondering what core or revision this is? It is marked ADA2800 AEP4AP, next line is CAAOC 0349MPM. I am thinking it has to be the old Clawhammer and not the Newcastle but thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.

ADA2800AEP4AP, you want ADA2800AEP4AX for the CG revision that OCs the best.

EDIT---> like this one.

You're right, its a C0 revision clawhammer with half the cache disabled. Stay away from that particular chip.
What you're looking for is ADA2800 AEP4AX. and if you can find one that has MPMW after the date code, then that would be a supirior OCer.

Thanks guys. Anyone know where the CG stepping 2800+'s are available in Canada?? At a couple of the places the item number for the 2800's are ADA2800BOX. Is there any way of knowing by item # listed?? Thanks again

i'm not sure about other vendors, but just for reference, newegg lists C0s as ADA2800BOX and CGs as ADA2800AXBOX

Did newegg take CG stepping 2800s down? I can't find one anywhere - only the Model# ADA2800BOX is listed.. I'm ordering one *very* shortly - probably tomorrow - and I just realized I had the CO stepping selected.

They've only got that one box up - I'm guessing it's CO half core disabled ripoff labeled newcastles - they claim it's a newcastle so I don't know what the deal is...

Would an A64 3000+ be worth the extra $30.00 over the 2800+(both are newcastles). How does the stock heatsink perform? Can you overclock any with it?

From looking at the 3000s - it's almost as if on average they all use higher voltage than the 2800 to achieve the same ghz -which is why I'm really trying to avoid picking one up at this point and getting the 2800 instead. I've looked everywhere for CG stepping and fryes is the only place with them - overcharged @ 173 for just the OEM unit - not even retail box.

It's not worth the extra 20-30 imo unless you have no other option. Just where DID those CG newcastles go - unless they all switched from CO to CG (newegg sold the last of em off) and they changed the serial numbers?

You can OC with the stock heatsink - it's not horrible but not the most desirable. I think somebody hit 2.5+ on it.

Anybody found any more CG 2800s?

Good comparisons in the A64 OC Results thread..

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=319185

COs don't scale *anywhere*near as nicely as far as voltage goes. OCs are lower on average as well.

This thread gives some examples but doesn't speak for the majority.. Many of the COs top out 200-300 mhz lower than their CG counterparts.

Back