• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I just almost fry my video card memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ripit

I was running ati tool and atempting to overclock the memory. At about 305 mhz (it runs 275 mhz stock) the picture got all screwy. I aborted and there were even spaced verticle lines through part of the window. anywhere I clicked (basically anything that it redrew) had verticle lines through it). I did a warm restart and the whole display had lines and was messed up. I did a cold restart and the problem went away. I was periodically checking temps by placing a temp probe touching the few mem chips that afe acesable enough to touch with the probe hand held and temps never went above the 30's.
Did I almost fry the memory (or maybe even did fry some of it)? It wasn't that much of an overclock?
fyi this is an ati brand radeon 8500 (r200) 128mb

That happens to me when I tell atitool to find max memory, all i do is try to shut down windows, or if the lines dont let me see i just press the power button.Then I let it sit for like 5 minutes and then boot up. The lines usually go away then I just set the overclock manually.

So I didn't almost fry anything? Is this a problem with ati tool or is this an indication that I am set to high on the memory overclock (and need to back off instead of trying to go further?

Sounds like you pushed your memory too high. I doubt you came close to frying it unless your RAM was really hot, or you've voltmodded it. ATITool dosen't seem to be very good at finding maximum memory speeds, which would explain why it clocked it so high that artifacts appeared on your desktop. I'd manually overclock the memory since ATITool has never been very good at that part of the video card.

JigPu

No volt mods yet and the temp got to 39c at the higest (touching the sensor to the memory die). I thought I would get a little more out of it stock but oh well, I am already looking into other cooling options too. Ram sinks would increase it's ability to overclock, right?
Fyi what are other good programs to push the graphics and test for artifacting?
On a side note, when using ati tool to oc the gpu, when it quits adjusting higher (but keeps running), thats the max, right?

Back