• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water pump come on with computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hypertek

ok im thinking about building a water cooling system for my rig. Probably go wiht a swiftech block and a automotive heater core.. now my question, i was thinking of buying hoses and a pump from petco but havent look at anything.... what i want to know is how would you get your water pump to come on with the computer? Id think it would get annoying to have seperate switches or something just to turn it on.... esp if someone else jumps on your computer without knowing to turn it on....

there are pci cards that can turn on and off your pump, but you must cut your cord of your pump to use it. That is the only real failsafe. Or you can get a 12V pump that runs off a standard computer Molex

ic... got any recommendations as to what would be more cost effiecient as far as dc or ac fans? any sites that sell dc fans?

All computer sites sell 12v DC fans, as you can power these from your PSU it would probably be most sensible to go for DC and select from the tremendous range of fans avaliable.

I also agree with enlightend, buying a very simple relay and wiring it up is VERY cheap and works perfectly, IMO buying a PCI card for ~ $20 is silly when you can get a relay yourself for around $1.50

personally i'll be hooking my pump up to my PSU internally, to the power on the rear switch...so when the psu is on, so is the pump...

Of couse, this will also cause the pump to be on when the computer is off, but thats why WC is quiet, right?

I'll probably eventually build a small relay for teh inside of my PSU. :)

Shadowcat said:
All computer sites sell 12v DC fans, as you can power these from your PSU it would probably be most sensible to go for DC and select from the tremendous range of fans avaliable.

I also agree with enlightend, buying a very simple relay and wiring it up is VERY cheap and works perfectly, IMO buying a PCI card for ~ $20 is silly when you can get a relay yourself for around $1.50

For the price of buying a ac pump then getting a relay kit.. its probably more cost effecient if I jus get a dc pump.. but how you said to make one for $1.50, how would i do that?

do a search here on relay and you should come up with a lot of how to's.
I've got both my rigs on diy relays. $1.50 is a little low but I guess it could be done.
The relay on my main rig cost me 0 cents but I got all my stuff from work.

I just have my computer and my pump on the same surge strip.
They are the only things on it.
When the pump is on the pc can be turned on.
when the pump is off I cant power on the pc.
at night (for now) I can power off the strip
and all is right with the world.

I have used many methods for powering pumps.

I have two of Swiftech's relays, although I still haven't used one yet.
I have 2 machines that use the simple "same powerstrip" method.
One system is a Koolance Exos which includes a relay.
The last is wired directly into the power supply:
When the psu switch is OFF, everything is off.
When the psu switch is On, the pump starts; I then can also turn the pc on or off without interfering with the pump.

Relays are the easiest SAFEGUARD method, but if you are confident and secure in your soldering ability (-and have a psu with a power switch!) then the direct-wire method is nice and cheap. :)

Back