• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bit of a problem, suggestions? Regarding NF7-S System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Banetahtoh

Registered
Hi,

I'm building a new system, I have it mostly together, but it won't power on.

Part:

Antec Smartpower 350w PSU
Abit NF7-S v2 Mobo
AMD Athlon 2200+ XP CPU
Tornado 7 If I recall Fan
GeForce 3 Ti 128mb vid card
WD 80 GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD
512MB DDR333 Mushkin Green RAM
Generic Floppy
Antec Midtower case (PSU came with it)

Logitech Mouse/Keyboard

I also changed the NB Heatsink right out of the box to a Zalman ZM-NB47J

All thermal grease (NB and CPU) is AS Ceramique

The power switch, reset switch, HHD LED, SPKR, and PLED are all attached correctly.

I've build computers with this mobo before, and never come across this problem before, so I come to you;

The red "Power" LED on the v2 of the NF7-S comes on (I want to specify, I mean the one on the actual motherboard, not on the case), but the PSU doesnt even start up, no fans go on, nothing, when the power on is hit. This is pretty important that it works soon, so all help is appriciated! I'll be checking this very often.

Need anything else, just ask! Thanks again

Try to reseat the memory or put a different one in. Check also the PSU (bridge the green and black cable on the atx connector).

Hope it helps

Well, as I was waiting I reseated the Video card, and then the CPU, and saw that the core is .. chipped? It must have been me, I can't believe that I would have missed that when I opened it. The corner is broken off, about a mm^2 or so. Would that cause this problem?

Banetahtoh said:
The corner is broken off, about a mm^2 or so. Would that cause this problem?

Then I think that your cpu is gone than, better to buy a new one :cry:

I think so, imagen a car without any bougies (hmm) .. the car wouldn't start.. Maybe a wrong comperisement. But it's almost the same :eh?:

Like a car with no distribuitor. Everything else might work, but it won't start? Good, I thought that might be it.

For what its worth, I had a similar thing happen with an Intel rig, a Gigabyte board. Ram light came on, but nothing else. I checked everything and couldn't figure out what was going on. I checked the PSU and even though it hesitated coming on for about 5 seconds, eventually it came on and powered a fan. It was my nephews board and he ended up ordering a new one. While waiting for the new board, I swapped out PSU because that hesitation troubled me. The rig started right up with the new PSU.

I know that one of the guys (pedro69) mentioned checking the PSU up above, but I don't remember seeing you post that you did in fact test yours. You might want to check that out, although it could very well be your chipped cpu. Just keep this in mind if a new cpu doesn't work either.

same thing has happened to me. just built a new NF7-s system and the fiortron550 i got for it wont fire it up. or should i say does so very sporatically. when it does work its solid. just most times i get nothinh but a red led. i swapped the ps for a antec true430 and all is well. will test the fortron later.....

Well, the CPU came in the mail today, and I put it in, no go. I reseated the RAM, and the Video card. How would you recommend I check the PSU? It IS just the stock Antec 350 that came with the case, but then, this is a budget computer.

I am having the same trouble using the same MB and an antec ps. It comes on kinda intermitantly. Sometimes it powers up fine then the next it won't. I have to get in and mess with stuff inside the case for it to eventually kick on. Thought it was the MB grounding out at first. I even tried unmounting the MB off of the case and tried to start it like that but didnt work. I did however get it on and load windows and get everything set then when I moved it to my bedroom it wouldnt come on again( Frustrating.

Just replaced my 380w antec power supply that came in my brand new Antec Sonota case. I replaced it with an Antec 430w PS. Everything works fine now. Was definetly the PS

Last edited:
You might want to try a barebones setup outside of the case to eliminate the possibility of a grounding issue while the MB is installed in the case. Just hook up the CPU, CPUfan, a stick of memory and a video card. See if it will boot and post. If it does then your board is grounding on something. Make sure there are no extra mounting legs under the board that dont line up with a mounting hole. You can also use those paper washers between the legs and the bottom of the motherboard.

GL

Lvcoyote

Well I don't have a spare PSU, is there a way to check it? Is it possible it works, but isn't powerful enough to start the computer? Sorry I haven't been responding, my aunt died, so I was away :(

Back