• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gain 11c from unefficient waterblock???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JONTHEMON

I just borrowed my friends digital thermometer and stuck the sensor down the tee line in my setup to see the temperature I was gaining from the air to the water and from the water to the cpu.
Here's what I recorded(cpu idle):

24.2 c in my room

27.4 c in the water

39 c is what my moterboard cpu monitor says

I'v seated my waterblock 3 times. Is it possibile that my water block sucks so much that I'm gaining 11.6 c from my water to the cpu? Or is this a classic case of an inaccurate cpu thermomonitor?

Here is the water block I have:

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22

Without going into too many details (and since we don't know much about your setup beyond your block) would say that if its a socket probe, then you can expect temps to be off slightly. Still, its hard to say without knowing specifics about your system, radiator, pump, ventilation, CPU voltage, speed etc..

Yes what is your pump, and more importantly what is your rad, and which fan did you put on it..?

You need to tell us what model motherboard, what model thermometer, and how you measured the air temperature.

It's very possible that you have a aggregate error of 9C or more. Most digital thermometers have a resolution of 0.1C. However, only the expensive ones are actually accurate to 0.1C. Your thermometer could have an accuracy of +/- 3C.

DarkJester said:
It's perfectly normal to have a 10c difference between your cpu and the water.
Well, supposedly the test CPU in the Procooling chart was heavily overclocked and overvolted. The computer was also running BurnK7. The calculated wattage was about 150 watts, whereas the measured wattage was 88 (however I personally think the measured wattage is off.) JONTHEMON stated that his CPU was at idle.

Even my WhatBlock does better than 10c DT while idling a hot CPU.

JONTHEMON said:
I just borrowed my friends digital thermometer and stuck the sensor down the tee line in my setup to see the temperature I was gaining from the air to the water and from the water to the cpu.
Here's what I recorded(cpu idle):

24.2 c in my room

27.4 c in the water

39 c is what my moterboard cpu monitor says

I'v seated my waterblock 3 times. Is it possibile that my water block sucks so much that I'm gaining 11.6 c from my water to the cpu? Or is this a classic case of an inaccurate cpu thermomonitor?

Here is the water block I have:

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22

Let me try to understand your question. Your water temp is 27.4 c and so you expect your cpu temp to also 27.4 c? If that is so, I don't think you understand the two differences. The cpu should be hot when under load (very hot without cooling). With your water running through the block, it's cooling down the cpu to 39 c which I think is a decent temp if it is underload.

the cpu cant be at the same temp as whats cooling it, if it was the temp would be dropping eather quickly. a hunk of metal will absorb the heat so fast, that cpu is generating lots of heat, and the water has to cool off the block so the block can cool off the cpu. Just because the part of the WB that touches the core is the same temp as the core doesnt mean the whole thing is....01 inches away is probaby cooler.
i dont understand thermodynamics much, i never studied it...but common sense says the heat generator will be a good deal hotter than the device cooling it.

the cpu cant be at the same temp as whats cooling it, if it was the temp would be dropping eather quickly

If they are both the same temperature, you would have no heat transfer.

So what temp are you referring to? The CPU? The block? The water? And why would the temp be dropping?

i dont understand thermodynamics much

Then why do you keep posting information as if you do understand it.

EDIT: I agree with Graystar... I suspect inaccurate temperature measuring methods/equipment is the culprit.

Last edited:
JONTHEMON said:

Where is your T at? After the rad? After and pump?......

This can cause some temp difference also.

Back