• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

939 Athlon64 vs. Xeon 3.2EA: which will win?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f1lite

Looking at the new system; it's going to be my "next generation" gaming and multimedia production machine; and I'll be running the 64bit version of XP on it. I am looking at two different processors, both run just under $500 from newegg, with the AMD being $60 cheaper. Which would you choose, and why? (Please only consider the processor on it's own merits, not motherboard/OS availability/cost etc...)

Intel Xeon 3.2EA GHz with EMT 64, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology (active heatsink) - Retail

Model# BX80546KG3200EA
Item # N82E16819117027
Specifications:
Model: Intel Xeon w/ EMT 64
Core: Nocona
Operating Frequency: 3.2GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/ 32KB, L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.4V
Process: 90 nm
Socket: Socket 604
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Warranty: 3-year MFG
Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan)

-or-

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor 939 Pin - Retail

Model# ADA3500AWBOX
Item # N82E16819103463
Specification
Model: AMD Athlon 64
Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz
FSB: Integrated into Chip
Cache: L2/512K
Voltage: 1.5V
Socket: Socket 939
Packaging: Retail

f1lite said:
Looking at the new system; it's going to be my "next generation" gaming and multimedia production machine; ...(Please only consider the processor on it's own merits, not motherboard/OS availability/cost etc...)

You have to compare the whole package. Silly to ask which processor is best, decounting everything else.

I am sure this thread will look like this :argue:

The Athlon 64 has an integrated memory controler which really boosts performance over other processors. Like TexasDevildog said, you need to compare the whole package.

It is my opinion that the 3500 is merely an underclocked 3800. I have seen people get it up to at least that speed on stock voltage. You will be looking at an overclocking potential of at least 300mhz with good cooling (which is like 450 - 500mhz for an intel) and a good mobo, so don't skimp on that. If you are willing to wait DFI should be coming out with an NF3 mobo for 939 which would be ideal for fsb overclocking. 90nm processors are on the way too, which will perform even better.

The only problem with the A64 at the moment is that there are no chipsets for it that support PCI express 16x so that might be a problem, though tried and true AGP 8x isn't exactly a bottleneck yet, and some intel boards with the new PCI express slots don't lock their speed when overclocking.

Back