• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scared of overclocking :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Homie

Hey i want to overclock but safely so how much should i first overclock to so i dont fry it since im a newbie on this. Also is radLinker good Overclocking program because if i install ATI tool it uninstalls Overdrive which means overdrive tells temperture of card. SO is radlinker good software? OK Rad linkers says clock COre and clock Memory so how much should i clock memory and how much should i clock core for first time just so i dont burn card? SO should i clock memory whats that like 128 mb clocked to like 256 mb? SHould i just clock COre and not memory?

Anyways heres a image of Radlinker overclocking software tell me how much i should over clock to where it wont heat up should i just clock extra 5 MHz everytime i raise the clocking?

http://hl2info.uni.cc/rad1.JPG

Regards,

Homie

Homie said:
Hey i want to overclock but safely so how much should i first overclock to so i dont fry it since im a newbie on this. Also is radLinker good Overclocking program because if i install ATI tool it uninstalls Overdrive which means overdrive tells temperture of card. SO is radlinker good software? OK Rad linkers says clock COre and clock Memory so how much should i clock memory and how much should i clock core for first time just so i dont burn card? SO should i clock memory whats that like 128 mb clocked to like 256 mb? SHould i just clock COre and not memory?

Anyways heres a image of Radlinker overclocking software tell me how much i should over clock to where it wont heat up should i just clock extra 5 MHz everytime i raise the clocking?

Regards,

Homie

Welcome to the forums...read the stickies esp the ones concerning your card..

I use 3dmark runs and bump up my core and mem speed up say 25 to 50 mhz from stock ..if its stable..then go in 5 mhz increments till 3dmark crashes during run...then back down a bit...
normally you would at least want to remove the stock hsf and upgrade to AS5 if not slap a silencer on your card...

I use atitool to oc you still get the temp monitor and it works pretty well....

it helps to flesh out your sig with all of your main components so we know what you got..

I use a similar but diffrent method. I usually select the core first and bump it up in 10mhz steps, then run 3dmark03 and wait for the nature demo to check for artifacts, if none appear I bump it up another 10 until I see artifacts/crash. Once I have found it's max speed that's free of artifacts I start overclocking the mem 10mhz at a time in the same fashion as the core. Once the max artifact free speed of the core/mem is found I will then give it a stability test by looping 3dmark2k1 for 12hrs. If it passes you are in good shape, but if it doesn't I bump the speeds down in 5mhz increments.

Personally I use Radclocker and love it (just the tab in the vid properties no extra crap).
On a side note I have been toying with using d3 demos as an artifacting/stability test instead as it exposes artifacts/stability better than 3dmark03's nature test.

No doubt man, doom 3 will bring the video card to its knees. My 9800 pro was running 486 MHz on the core until doom 3 came out. It only gets 445 MHz without artifacts in doom 3.

Well if i overclock my 9600 xt sapphire 128mb from 500 MHz to 505Mhz :bday: will my card overheat right? Also if i overclock it says to test the card with like doom 3 and if everything is ok then you can keep that oc at that setting am i correct? ALso once i test that my overclock and everything is ok, is it ok to oc your card and play on CS:S BETA?

You go do that. If your afraid, go slower! 5mhz increments won't gain you a lot in FPS/3DMark scores, but its a start. As to burning through overclocking, you'll need to bump it wayyy past the point where you get artifacts. If you want the noobie way to overclock(but it is still very good). Google ATiTool. It has an artifact scanner and a "Find Max Clock/Memory" button where it will increase slowly and "heat up" the core so that it will see if its stable.(Higher you go, longer the heat up phase is.) After ATiTool detects your Max Speeds, I suggest lower them a bit by 1-5mhz. Then run the artifact scanner for a long period of time. If no artifacts, your good to do whatever you want!

Hope that helps!

Back