• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to water cool a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesavery22

I have a couple of questions

#1 does anyone know if I could buy copper square tubing anywhere? Im getting the impression from seaching that square copper tubing just isnt made
#2 Will I still get the corrosion problem if I combine brass and copper in a water loop? Im assuming no since so many people use brass fittings...

What I am trying to do is H2O cool a PSU the simplest way possible. I dont have a mill or a drill press so I cant do what I really want, just manufacture a copper block that the transistors can mount to and I can run the water directly through...

So what I want to do is use the exsisting aluminum heatsink.
chop off the top fins
that would leave a good 4" x 1" flat platform
mount a copper square tube onto that flat platform, after lapping it a little, with some non-conductive thermal tape
Just JB weld some barbs onto the copper tube then run water right through it to cool that exsisting heatsink.

First problem I ran into is not finding copper square tube anywhere. If I used round tubing the contact between the aluminum heatsink and copper tube would suck...

I wont use aluminum because everything else in the loop is copper. I found brass square tubbing but Im guessing that wont transfer the heat fast enough...

Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a clever way to manufacture a copper block for a PSU without a mill or a drill press?

Copper and brass together are just fine. Brass is mostly copper anyway, so don't worry. Have you thought of taking your normal round tubing and putting it in a vise between 2 hard boards and just flattening a section of it a little bit? Now you have your flat spot that you wish to mate to your modified heatsink. I just checked online metals and they do not have copper square tube, only round. A quick Google turns up some brass octagonal and square tube at knifeandgun.com . Check around a little harder, you might find your square tube.

2Busy said:
Copper and brass together are just fine. Brass is mostly copper anyway, so don't worry. Have you thought of taking your normal round tubing and putting it in a vise between 2 hard boards and just flattening a section of it a little bit? Now you have your flat spot that you wish to mate to your modified heatsink. I just checked online metals and they do not have copper square tube, only round. A quick Google turns up some brass octagonal and square tube at knifeandgun.com . Check around a little harder, you might find your square tube.

Yeah Ive thought about hammering some copper tube to have a flat edge, might go that route, I dunno. Im still searching for square copper tubing but no luck.

onlinemetals.com has some square brass tubing, that looks best.

Back