• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which thermal paste to use with vid card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kooga_magnum

I am going to be buying a thermaltake giant 3 vga cooler here soon and was wondering what thermal paste is best for vid cards? I realized this is kind of a noobish question but can I just use standard CPU paste...like artic silver? assuming of course I dont need it to be adhesive thanks

That Artic Silver Stuff that it took them 5 tries to get it right. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah one more thing, it is not Dielectric, it is Fry-electric. :eek:

So be careful where you put it especially on your Video Card a lot less room for error there.

If your skillful at applying the stuff then go ahead and use a good silver based product. If you dont want to take any chances try a less expensive silicone based product which probably will come free with the heatsink.

Woops forgot to mention Arctic Silver produces a non conductive/capacitive thermal paste called Arctic Alumina Thermal Compound. Seen here .

I use Arctic Alumina on video cards with exposed Athlon XP style cores usually. On ones that are one flat surface like Radeon 8500-9200s I use either Arctic Silver or Arctic Alumina adhesive depending on if it has mounting holes or not.

Back