• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sevral issues/announcements: borging 100+comps, and the folding mentor project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Ok, first thing is first, 100+computers mostly consisting of 2.8Ghz P4's with hyper threading. I tried to get them a month ago, but due to an already stressed network, they cannot allow any more network traffic.

Is there a way to get folding to ONLY send WU's in at certain times? If I can get it to do that...I will be VERY VERY happy and so will team 32 with their added power.

The folding mentor project. Sorry....I have been busy with stuff lately, I requested a subforum, hopefully we will find out next week. I will try to get it going again towards the end of this week or next week! We got allot of potential folders!

100+?!!! we will take H with that!!! I would ask super ha><()r Wedo to make you something! But i mean with 2.8 they would be sending things maybe 3 times a day for 2 minutes or so each time. what is the big problem with that? I have even noticed that wherever my comp is, it never sends back at over 30-40kbps. I wish I could help you myself! 100+ computers.... *mumbling*

good luck!!!

I believe that you can specify a specific port to connect through, so if you could have that port only open during certain times of the day, then I think that might work. Although if you did that, I would put a couple extra instances per pc, just to make sure they always had something to do.

If the port thing doesn't work, the only other alternative that I can think of ATM is to just have each machine running FAH as a scheduled task at the times it can connect. This would mean they are not running FAH 24/7, but anything is better than nothing, I mean 100 machines running 8 hours a day is like 33 machines running 24/7.

33 machines will produce bucket loads too...I use to be there :'( anyways I think the schedual task might be the best Idea. probably the simplest too. BTW what OS are these machines?

I highly recommend emailing Stanford and asking them about it. SUre, 100 machines running 8 hours a day is nice, but asking them, and getting all 100 is 3 times as nice :)

nikhsub1 said:
the only other alternative that I can think of ATM is to just have each machine running FAH as a scheduled task at the times it can connect.

Well, unfortunatly it is a school, so it would only be on 8 hours or less a day anyways.

But, how exactly do you get folding to fold when the computers are on, but only send in certain times? Can I do that with a scheduled task?

The computers start coming on one by one as students use them from about 7:10AM. From about 8:20AM to 2:15 PM the network is SEVERELY bogged down because the ENTIRE school is only fed by one T1 line. The computers are usually shut down between 2:15 and 3:30PM. So that would be the ideal sending time.

Thank you so much for the suggestions.

EDIT: Nevermind read number ten in this thread

Last edited:
Why not just put the service on all of the computers, and let it just take its course...

At least try 10 of them to begin with, just to see. You can always shut it down.

You can always try to get them to allow 1-10 rigs for a "test" run. Disable bigpackets and don't use the advmethods flag which tax the system less than having both enabled.

T-1 or no, I doubt they will see any slow down in computer speed or network transmission with BP and -adv off.

Always, always, always shoot for the "test" rig when trying to borg gobs of rigs. This gives the FAH client a chance to show how non-intrusive it can be which usually opens the door for the mother-load of borgs. :D

I tried it all :( The network admin is for the idea, but has to get it approved at the district level and the district is not approving ANYTHING now.

She even wanted to get a program on the computers where the admin can remotely access the computers, the district guys even said that was not going to work.

Darn..even if it only accessed the internet on "off" times...damnit...

Shot for test rig too :(

do you go to a public school? is that why the district has to approve? if its a private school, don't they control thier own comptuers?

stan03 said:
do you go to a public school? is that why the district has to approve? if its a private school, don't they control thier own comptuers?

He goes to public school, that is why the district has to approve it.

Matt

Yep, public school. A few labs with 2.4's with HT and a few with 2.8's with HT. Darn :(

Anyways thanks for the replies and the help guys. Im sorry it didn't turn out too well.

heading to my sons school next week for a parent teacher thing-a-mabob, my usb pen drive will be ready to go. sons done did the scouting for me and he said we should be able to get @ least 10 machines before we are caught ;)

you know I am joking about being caught right :p

FizzledFiend said:
heading to my sons school next week for a parent teacher thing-a-mabob, my usb pen drive will be ready to go. sons done did the scouting for me and he said we should be able to get @ least 10 machines before we are caught ;)

you know I am joking about being caught right :p

Way to go! w00t w00t! What type of comps?

Back