• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat. Lots and lots of heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

It was hard to decide where this should go: The cooling forum or the cpu forum. But since my cooling doesn't seem to be in trouble, I figured this would be fine.

I have a Mobile 2600 Barton (1.45 volt version) that I run generallly at 2600 mhz with my SLK-900A and 92mm Vantec Tornado. While this is a nice setup along with my AS5, I don;t get very good temperatures.

I have an NF7-S as a motherboardand run the CPU at 1.7 volts for the most part. It provides the best stability. This causes my temperatures to be roughly 47 at idle and 51 at load. While these aren't extrmelly hot, I feel its hotter than it deserves.

Any idea as to why this is happening? Any suggestions or whatever? Even a better BIOS you can recomend?

Hmm... well I figured I was doing something wrong. I mean those temperatures, I am sure, can be improved with my setup. At least I hope so. Its not like they ar ecausing problems (they are not high enough to get in the way), but they're higher than I'd like them to be.

I get those temps at 2.4 GHz with this:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ mobile 35 watt AXMD 2400 FJQ4C
IQYHA 0402 SPMW
3 x 256MB K-Byte PC2700 (SpecTek chip) @ 6 3 3 2.5
[185] FSB x 13 = 2405 MHz @ 1.80 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [185 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm
Epox 8RDA+ v1.1
Thermalright SLK-947U with variable speed 80x25mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower TP380
Four 80x25mm Case Fans + 1 Variable speed 80x25mm Fan YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F

47c idle, that to me does seem alittle high. 50c load is not bad but for what you are running I think maybe it could be lower also.

Have you tried with the side of the case off to see if it cools down. Changing the flow of fans sometimes can help this if it cools down with the side off.

You can also lap the heatsink to get it to cool better, this will help more for some heatsinks than others. Any amount you can drop your temps will always help even if its just to make it last longer.

SJ
:sn:

Hmm... ok well something very odd happened last night. I replaced my Tornado with the stock 92mm fan that came with my SLK-900a. I now run 36 idle and at most 44 load (priming). Thats at 1.8 volts as well and I am running at 2625 mhz (218X12). It was kinda scary to boot up after getting rid of the tornado, one of the most powerful commercial CPU fans available, to see my temperatures down so low.

Y was the diff between your idle and load temps in the beginning so small? (47 and 51C)

And 200*13 @ 1.7v, what's ur stepping..?

I have no idea why the hell therewas such a small difference between my idle and load. It didn't make sense at all. As for my stepping, I honestly never checked.

You might be getting better temps because the tornado has a really big hub in the centre and if you have a fan with a smaller hub it'll do better. If you're using the stock fan that came with your SLK947, that's a Delta, they are known to be nearly as good as tornados without being as loud.

Well its an SLK900a actually. Not sure if its a delta but it has the same size hub nad everything. Infact the fan is quite identical to it aside from the wires. Thats why its kinda scary

Cheator said:
Well its an SLK900a actually. Not sure if its a delta but it has the same size hub nad everything. Infact the fan is quite identical to it aside from the wires. Thats why its kinda scary

If it came from Thermalright, then it's most likely a delta fan. Those are quality fans. And I noticed sometimes shifting the fan just a bit can lower temps.

WOW that looks more like it. Could you may have had the other fan pulling instead of pushing. Either way looks like your working now no matter what it was. Temps really effect things alot & it looks like you have some good clocks now. Time to tune all over, have fun.

SJ
:sn:

Aye well tonight I am trying 2 vantec stealths atop of eachother. It should make a nice pull, no? And hopefully I can get rid of these noisy things.

Back