• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with my dial-up connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spirit

Registered
Hi there, I have a problem with my dial-up internet connection. I'm not sure if the problem is in the modem or if it's a software problem, so I hope someone here can help me.

What happens is, when I first turn on the computer and connect to the internet it usually works fine, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for more than an hour. But if I stay connected for too long it would usually disconnect me without warning.
After this happens I am not able to reconnect to the internet again. When I try to reconnect, it would sometime say there's no dial tone, sometimes it would say communications port is being used, and sometimes the program I use to connect to the internet (3web) just freezes. So I have to shut down the computer and restart it in order for the internet to work again. And sometimes I have to leave the computer off for a while so that the internet will work.
The reason why I also think that it might be a software problem is because, when this happens I sometimes can't shut down Windows. I have to physically pull the plug or press the reset button to turn it off. I've once tried leaving the computer there for over an hour and all it says is "Windows is shutting down" but doesn't actually shut down.

This problem is preventing me from staying connect too long for anything, whether it's homework or leisure and I would appreciate it if someone on this forum is able to help me.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

It sounds to me like the connection is timing out, with the addition of a software problem. You may want to consider a clean install of Windows.

Thanks for the welcome, and the reply.

I was thinking about re-installing Windows, but does this mean I will lose my programs and files, or is it more like when you upgrade a program? (everything stays and just the program itself is changed)

a clean install my be jumping the gun a bit.

first i would try uninstalling your dialing software. and reinstalling it. then run scandisk and defrag. run an AV scan and also run adaware and spybot.

I do tech support for a local dialup isp and i've never heard of a problem quite like this but i would start with those things i mentioned above and then if still no luck post back and we can go from there.

the fact that its saying the com port is in use and that your having trouble shutting down leads me to beleive your modem itself may be dieing but we'll start with the easy stuff before we declare hardware dead.

so try what i posted and lets see what happens

So what you're saying is that I might need to get a new modem?

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the dialup software and the other stuff you said, but it's still doing what it was doing before. Could it be that the problem is with windows, since sometimes it won't automatically shut down like it's supposed to.

spirit said:
windows, since sometimes it won't automatically shut down like it's supposed to.

That's pretty much the reason that I suggested the clean install. Everytime I ever had a rig that started having problems not shutting down, reinstalling windows was the only thing that ever fixxed it. Although I havn't had the problem in about two years, at which time I didn't know much of what I do know about OS's. Personally I don't think it's a hardware problem. I'd wait for some more suggestions and advice before commiting to the full reinstall of windows though. Yes, you would lose everything if you did a full install so make sure you back everything up that you need. Sorry I can't be of more help.

These are definite signs of a driver issue IMO.

Sounds to me like after an irregular disconnect, the modem is getting confused (driver not smart enough to tell it what to do), and there may be a process which hangs as a result... Causing the shutdown problem.

I have a few questions:

What OS are you running, XP?
Is this a PCI modem? (is it on a card plugged into the motherboard, near your graphics card?)
What is the date on your driver, the provider, and the version?

If you don't know the answer on this last one, so you don't have to ask and wait for an answer even longer... Press windows+r and type devmgmt.msc then hit enter. Device manager will open and it will list some hardware categories; in alphabetical order you will see modems listed. Expand that category and right click on your modem and select properties. An information window will open; click on the driver tab and you will see provider, date, and version listed there. Let me know what that says.

I'm guessing it will list that MS is the provider, which means you are using some sort of default driver which 9.9 times out of 10 is not optimal for your modem. If that isn't the case, I'm betting you have an outdated driver, which may not be fully compliant with the OS you are using.

Ideally, I would like to know who made your modem and what the model number is on it - if you bought it, you may know this; if you did not, it is likely listed on the modem card itself and you might be able to recongize it if you took a look - it may be on a sticker, or it may be printed right on the PCB.

Apologies if I overexplained anything, but being new, I wanted to cover all the bases and if you already knew something I told you, maybe it helped someone else. :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I.M.O.G - I'm currently using XP, and the modem info says: Provider - Intel Corporation, Driver date - 11/20/2000, Driver version 3.34.0.0.

Thanks for the help!

Ok, first thing we need to do is get you the appropriate updated driver version.

Do you use windows update? Go out to windows update and do a custom install of upgrades... Check to see if there are any driver updates for your hardware. After the search for updates runs, click on the option "select optional hardware updates". If there is an update for your modem, download it.

Ideally, there would be a driver update there. Likely though? Dunno.

To manually find the driver you need, I would need more details on your modem... like a model number preferably.

What is the name this modem is listed as under device manager?

I upgraded the driver Sunday night and it was working well until tonight when it got disconnected and I couldn't reconnect without restarting my computer. I hope you can help me find the right driver.

Right now the new driver info is: Provider - Intel Corporation, Date - 6/21/2002, 4.47.2.0, and the name of my modem under device manager is Intel V92 Data Fax Voice. As for the model number, where do I go to find that? Is it on the modem itself or do I find it using the computer?

Sometimes when I get disconnected the modem doesn't disengage so the modem is not able to initialize again without restarting. It happens rarely though.

Ideally, I would like for you to remove the modem from its PCI slot and look on the modem itself (the information about it on your computer will vary depending on what driver is installed).

If you think you can do that, there will be one screw in the case holding it in that you will see after you take the side of your case off. Take it out and there should either be a manufacturer name and model printed on the PCB card (circuit board), or you will find a sticker with that information.

If you've got a good digi cam, you could just take a picture of it from a couple angles and we could look for the information we need. :eh?:

Did you get the driver from windows update or elsewhere?

I'll check back on this thread for when you get a chance to check this out. :)

I got the driver from www.driverguide.com. I couldn't find anything on the windows update.

I found two stickers with numbers on my modem and I'm not sure which one you need so I'll write both of them here.

CTISDTP

and

139-06903743

Super Nade said:
Is it because I'm OC'd all these problems seem to occur?

You made a great point, even if it was accidental. Lower your overclock.....that's an easy enough way to test if it IS your overclock. As far as the above modem.....are there any other numbers actually on the modem? Sometimes there will be printed model #'s or info.

spirit said:
I got the driver from www.driverguide.com. I couldn't find anything on the windows update.

I found two stickers with numbers on my modem and I'm not sure which one you need so I'll write both of them here.

CTISDTP

and

139-06903743

Looks like the model number is not printed on a sticker... Look on the card itself. On one modem I have sitting here for example - it has a model number on the back, and google returns drivers for windows 95 if I search on them.

Every modem I've worked with, has had markings, however obscure, which would give away its identity. Just need to find the right ones.

The chips themselves will have information about the chips printed on them... I need some sort of marking which might be on the PCB (the green part).

Super Nade said:
Hi I.M.O.G!
I'm having the same problem as he is. My modem disconnects when I play Black Hawk down online. The modem specs are:-
Encore 56K V.92 Internal PCI Fax Modem(NetoDragon), Model ENF656-ESW-NDPR.
I got the specs from here:-
http://www.encore-usa.com/product.php?id=36&lang=
Reinstalled drivers.No use :(

Is it because I'm OC'd all these problems seem to occur?

Are you sure you are getting disconnected, and not just kicked out of the game - you can't really play games like this with dial up.

If you have to dial back in after you get disconnected then you are really disconnected - if you just get dropped from the game, but can still access websites, then you are not actually getting disconnected.

You can make sure you have the latest drivers from here:
http://www.encore-usa.com/driver.php?id=36&lang=

Rarely does hardware come with the latest drivers.

I used to play BHD online on my laptop without any problems (other than the poor graphics).

I can surf the web and download 10-15Mb files without any problems. I get kicked off and the connection breaks(redial necessary, but I don't have to manually do it thanks to the 56k survival guide I found here) when I login to play on ANY server.This does not seem to occur when I'm not OC'd (will report back after a more through test). Now if this were an OC problem, why should the connection hold steady while downloading huge files? If I don't want to sacrifice my hard earned OC :), should I cut back on the Hypertransport (LTD) frequency?

I did update the drivers from the website as I lost the CD that came with it :)

Edit:*** Why should I cut back on the HT (LTD) if the PCI/AGP lock works? I'm a bit confused.

Last edited:
So no one else can help me with this? If that's the case then I'll just get my friend to help me reinstall windows.

Back