• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drive Disappearing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

Here's my setup:

• 1x Network Drive (B:)
  • 2x 20GB Maxtor DM8 on onboard HighPoint controller, striped, primary boot drive, Windows XP Pro Build 2600 SP2 (C:)
  • 1x 40GB Maxtor DM8 on onboard IDE controller (D:)
  • 1x Samsung 40x CDRW on onboard IDE controller (E:)
  • 1x LiteOn 48x DVD on onboard IDE controller (F:)
  • 1x 128MB Cigar USB drive (G:)
  • 1x Elby Virtual Drive
The B and G drives are not part of the problem since they were either added after the problems started, or are not always plugged in. Also- this problem is unrelated to any SP2 problems.

Problem:

I usually hibernate my PC for quicker boot times so I don't have to reload all the stuff I was working on before I went to bed. Occasionally I will reboot the normal way when I install new software or drivers that require a reboot, or if I run into a problem.

When my computer comes back from hibernation, it usually makes my 40GB Maxtor (D:) disappear. I will then have to go to device manager and scan for new devices in order for Windows to detect D: once again and make it accessable. Almost all of my regularly used programs / games that require a CD have had their images put on this drive so I don't have to shuffle through CD's trying to find the ones I use- so it is really frusterating returning from hibernation to find one of the most important parts of my computer missing.

This problem has been going on since I bought the drive used from the classifieds. I should also point out that the drive has shown signs of the click of death since I bought it. I then pulled everything off of it thinking it was dead, and retired it to the used computer parts drawer many months ago. I decided to plug it back in one day because I needed the extra space temporarily, and I have been using it ever since. I don't think the drive has any serious terminal illness, because it would have surely already placed its cold hands of death on the hard drive by now.

Back