• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockix LTSP v2.1 hold my hand?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FizzledFiend

installed Linux once and it was a mandrax version back when 2k just came out....I was so freakin lost I swore it off. I am looking to adopt a few rigs and in preperation I have a system I want to convert over to a Linux folder...sort of get use to this sort of setup before I jump on board with 3 or 4 more rigs. anybody want to point me in the right direction here?

Step 1) D/L the iso and burn an image of it.
Step 2) Set a box yto boot from CDrom before it boots from HDD (in the bios)
Step 3) Boot from the CD-rom and see what happens. Play with it a bit, read the documentation that's built into it.
Step 4) Follow instruction and launch the terminal server and try PXE-booting a client machine (make sure boot from LAN is an option in the bios). Note that without HDD space or a persisntant home, your net-booted client won't be able to fold.

None of this should make any changes to your boxes since you're just booting from CD and testing stuff. When you're ready you can install it to a HDD. The installer is pretty simple.

bittorent is a sharing network, it allows lots of people to "host" files on thier computer and that way when one person wants to download it can go quickly.

You don't wanna host this. When new relases go out we've been known to break 1000GB in a month.

yea, but bittorrent is the bomb. not like kazaa or anything. its pretty secure. (ive never gotten anything bad from using it.)

ok it's coming in @ about the rate of 270 KiB/s should have it in less than an hour. thanks for the help so far :)

tell me does this do more than allow you to fold without a OS? or is it like a very basic OS that folds?

4 am must get sleep

It's a full OS, and it'll do more than fold, if you want. He's got open office (Linux version of Microsoft office), web browsers, email, a few games...and some kickin' wallpaper.

All but the kickin wallpaper. The LTSP release is not tweaked for that cool look the way the 3.4 release is. It's really meant for use as a terminal server to netboot diskless machine for folding@home. But it can do lots of other stuff. Whereas the 3.4 release is slightly more desktop-oriented and is meant for folding diskless with a single computer (HDD optional).

The iso is something just short of 600mb.

is this the OS to have when trying to learn linux?

I know there is a learning cureve with linux, but the less i can make that curve the better.

Back