• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clawhammer or Newcastle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wiggyuk

I am currently updating my PC the board I have chosen is the highly rated DFI LanpartyUT NF3 250GB, the CPU I am looking for is either going to be a a64 3000+ or a64 3200+ but I dont know which one is best the newcastle or clawhammer, I will be overclocking by the way.

The clawhammer has 1MB cache, the Newcastle has 512k. The newcastle will probably be around 200Mhz faster tho which should make up for the difference. And as mentioned it should hit higher speeds.

No doubt. Must get AX stepping though.

Should be called something like ADA3000AXBOX or ADA3000AEP4AX

To guarntee AX jst get a 3200, as they all are. In the states we have price engines though to search for tha exact model which is benefical.:)

BTW check you personal mail box.

Hey Wiggy.

I know a website that are selling mobile 3200's Claws with 1Mb L2. If your getting a DFI this is perfect, as they work with em.

I think there doing a bundle soon with the board and chip.

Hey claw all the way, it performs way better & the DTRs OC just as good as the N/C. Also the N/Cs run poorly in this board(no performance.)

All this stuff about Newcastle Ocing better is not quite right, I have had them all and there is a N/C 3400 setting here that want touch my DTR 3200 on clocks. All bench marks are way better with the claw also.

With the 9800 pro in I score 26464 2001se 3Dmark, the 9600XT the score is in the sig. Im sorry forget N/Cs, the performance just is not there,with my N/C @ 2600mhz all I could get 3dmark was 24987 2001se. Clock per clock there is 2 seconds difference in super PI.

You should be able to get a 3200 DTR AR stepping for around $200.00us. The 3200s are best from what I have seen. DTR is better than Just MOBILE as far as clocking but mobile with 1m cashe aint bad either. 3200 what ever you get.

Now the N/C is no dog, but if your buying you should get the better of the two.

SJ
:sn:

Last edited:
So the 3200 DTR AR is the best cpu for this board what does DTR stand for I only know about the clawhammer and the newcastle

DTR stands for desktop replacment. Usually it is sold in the form of OEM CPU without a heat sink and fan.

For A64, it is considered as a mobile A64, such as

Mobile A64 754 (DTR)
3000+: AMA3000BEX5AR 1.5V (SH7 CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 1.8 GHz, x9
3200+: AMA3200BEX5AR 1.5V (SH7 CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 2.0 GHz, x10
3400+: AMA3400BEX5AR 1.5V (SH7 CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 2.2 GHz, x11
3700+: AMA3700BEX5AR 1.5V (SH7 CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 2.4 GHz, x12

Ref:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=2748995#post2748995

hitechjb1 said:
IMO, for 754, ClawHammer with 1 MB L2 would be preferred than a NewCastle (with 512 KB L2), since there is no clear evidence that the latter can be clocked on the average 5% higher which is about 100-150 MHz at 2.5 GHz level to break even with the larger L2 counterpart for average overall performance.

Difference between a ClawHammer and a NewCastle(post 53)

The 2nd post of this thread
A64 Overclocking Result Collection

shows some overclocking results for CH and NC.

Having said that, the 3200+ CG ClawHammer desktop is hard to find, unless going the route of mobile DTR or mobile 3200+ which only certain motherboards and bios would support. The DFI Lanparty UT is one of them. A 3400+ CG 1 MB L2 would be fine except for higher CPU cost.

Performance analysis of various A64 systems (including Barton, P4's) (post 7)

So where do the Winchesters fall i heard somewhere in between the NC and the Hammers.....i was just wondering if that would also be a choice for him...i was also wondering as i am going to go A64 here right off probably when N-force 4 comes out and PCI-E for A64 and a new Winchester stepping.....so my guess is around X-mass....and i can wait that long.....

For 939 Winchester which is beyond the scope of the original question, ....

Since the debut of the low PR 939 (Winchester) coming with a new revision, IMO, it is a preferred choice for new A64 builts.

hitechjb1 said:
For the 939, the new 3200+ 90 nm 939 is good and cost effective, especially for
- covering memory intensive applications such as scientific, video rendering programs
- for future compatibility, having the option to upgrade only CPU or motherboard down the road (not necessary to change both)

Currently the choice of 939 motherboards is less compared to 754, and the motherboards with PCI-e supports (Nvidia Nforce4 or VIA 890) are not yet available till later this year.

Some existing non-PCI-e motherboards are listed in these two links:

A64 Nforce3 Motherboards (754, 939) (post 11)

A64 K8T800 Pro Motherboards (754, 939) (post 12)

Go to the link Catalan suggested:
http://www.avatarelectronics.com/

They have the 3200+ AR model, which is the new CG stepping (higher OC, better thermal properties). I'd take his suggestion on calling a sales rep and confirming the AR in the model# also. You don't want AP . This is also a regular desktop model (not a DTR), so you won't need to worry about heatsink compatibility or, in a worst case scenario, cracking the core because of the IHS.

Have fun

The only problem is I live in the UK does this site ship to the UK or is there somewhere in the UK a can get a 3200+ AR CPU

Get an Newcastle, they oc better and the higher mhz dominates the larger L2 of the Clawhammer in most applications (not that there is a large difference but more mhz gets you further)

So back to squire one I am getting people telling me that the clawhammer AR is the best CPU then I get someone else poping up saying the newcastle is better ??????????

Back