• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Late night farming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seadave77

Well I finally set up my farm. I've got 5,870Mhz of Folding Powah! I used overclockix LSTP and it was not as hard to set up as I thought it would be. The only minor problem I am having right now is monitoring it using EMIII. It says it should show up as a new workgroup but I don't see it under my network places. I'll worry about that later, now I'm going to bed.

You can click here for a pic

Clint

The laptop is fine, I set it on its side beside the chair when I went to bed. I do have a question.

The server is an XP2000+. It looks like it is running two instances of FAH. The time for one of the instances to do a frame for p854_p53dimer854 is about 12 minutes. One of the clients has the same protein and it is an XP1600+. The frame time for it is about 32 minutes and it is only running one instance! Does anyone have an idea of why this is?

It may be of importance that I am using Overclockix v2.0.

Thanks,
Clint

Hmm might be the flags used in the init scripts are different and the client is not using SSE (if that's gromacs). The server uses a script called fold and the clients use a script called foldclient to launch folding. I haven't played much with overdoze's LTSP releases, but I bet he wrote some docs about how to set the flags if you want or need to change them.

The client frame time seems to be right. The server frame time can't be right even with one instant. May be short because it was continue from earlier restarted folding service.

In order for browsing workgroup to work in a window box I believe you need to create a username and login. Try browsing your network place and check for workgroup FAHome. It may takes some times (5 mins) to appear

Load times are complements of my school. I love to see my technology fee at work.

Overdoze:

When you say I need a username and login, what do you mean. I login to my windows box where I am looking for the workgroup or do you mean set something up on linux. It's not a big deal since it came with a folding monitor.

Thanks for the help,
Clint

Yeah, the frame time on the client is about what I get...... with dual instances on my rig it's about 28 minutes per frame, so 14 minutes per frame if it was one instance..... which is about what you're getting.

All I've had in the last three weeks were "dimers" I've had at least 10 of them so far.... not that I'm complaining, 155 points every morning is a nice thing to wake up to :D

What I meant is you log in to your window box with username and passwd. There is nothing to be done on the server side. If you can not see the workgroup it may be because windows XP firewall, locking to browse other workgroup other than its own etc.

Worse come to worse one guy I knew had to create a username knoppix passwd knoppix on his windows XP in order to see the server correctly.

As for me, my notebook is running win XP home and it can see the workgroup from the start and I have firewall off. I log in as a different username and passwd.

Back