• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

connection lost while using bittorrent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

whenever I use bittorrent, I frequently lose my connection to the internet and have to reboot my cable modem to get back on, similar to the problem in this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=325936&highlight=bittorrent

Im using the linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem, and the wrt54g wireless router, I have forwarded the correct ports on my router to make myself connectable, and I've limited theconnections in the bittorrent client ( the shadows experimental client aka bittornado). this usually only happens after about 20 minutes of downloading. My ISP is RoadRunner through time-warner cable, and my first thought was that they were disconnecting me, but after reading the thread above, I highly doubt it. I've looked for new firmware for the modem, and there isnt any, and I've flashed the router to the latest release, so any ideas anyone may have would be helpful.

Im also experiencing slow transfer speeds with my FTP server, which is possibly a related problem. I'm using cerberus as the server and filezilla as the client, and Im connectable from the outside, all the ports are forwarded, but the trnasfer speed is between 9-14 kpbs when trying to d/l from my server.

Last edited:
chittnp said:
whenever I use bittorrent, I frequently lose my connection to the internet and have to reboot my cable modem to get back on, similar to the problem in this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=325936&highlight=bittorrent

Im using the linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem, and the wrt54g wireless router, I have forwarded the correct ports on my router to make myself connectable, and I've limited theconnections in the bittorrent client ( the shadows experimental client aka bittornado). this usually only happens after about 20 minutes of downloading. My ISP is RoadRunner through time-warner cable, and my first thought was that they were disconnecting me, but after reading the thread above, I highly doubt it. I've looked for new firmware for the modem, and there isnt any, and I've flashed the router to the latest release, so any ideas anyone may have would be helpful.

I had the same problem, but i figured out it was from XP SP2. it limits the # of half open tcp connections or something
i put the fix up at my website:
http://www.sterlingweeks.com/Bit_Tornado_Fix_SP2.zip
run it and change your max open connections to 50-60 depending on how much you download from BT at once.
-Hope that helps

well, Im not running SP2, so do you think it would still work? I've been avoiding installing SP2 untill all the bugs with it get sorted, but looks like Ill have to do it soon anyway

somtimes if you open too many connections at once your isp will acually kick you off the line until you stop trying to open them. try setting the max limit of connections in your BT client under 300, then keep going lower if it doesn't work.

whenever i run over 50 my lil bro gets kicked from his FF11 server and my dad yells @ me to "stop all the downloading" lol.

Do you have comcast...? If so then its come to my understading that they have a weaker cable inet single most of the time. I had to have them come boost my line, this exact thing was happending. cable tv was fine, inet just puked alot.

the cable signal is definately suspect, would one of those inline boosters you can buy at radio shack do the trick?

im sure this thread has died.i had the same problems with any program that would open too many upstream connections and cause my modem to need resetting.the soultion is too use the program called net limiter it allows you limit the upload speed for that program externally of doing it in the program itself. i found that limiting the total upload speed to about 30 kbs or less regardless of the amount of open connection my modem never needs resetting. also the bonus if no negative effects of reducing the upload speed alsoreducing the download speed (ratio).

Back