• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Magnetic screwdriver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawne32

Extremely useful with building a pc but will it damage the parts from the magnet?

i say no. I use a magnetic screwdriver all the time. Never had a problem. Even near my hard drives. Now working on a monitor I would not use magnets but I find the magnetic screwdriver to be most useful.

I have a special tool kit designed for working on PC's all tools are demagnitized, I dunno if that says something but I'm just not willing to be waving a magnet around the innards of my PC.

ya i figured it be ok, since i regularly used to vaccum my room with the comp on the floor and run past the comp while on with the vaccum and it never did anything lol and my monitor is ok, one time i accidently put a car speaker on the desk near it, it had to be a good foot away the whole monitor screen bent in half and turned purple, i didnt even think about the magnet on the bottom of the speaker lol u shoulda seen how i jumped when that happened.

I've never had a problem with magnetic screwdrivers but it you get one with a really stong magnet you might wanna keep it away from the hard drives just in case.

Another vote for no issues with magnetic screwdrivers.

Of course, extreme caution should be taken around super sensitive parts.

Ive always used a magnetic tipped screwdrive no probs here :D my m8 has one of those magnitizer demagnitizer tools he says it works quite well

i would say its fine but could be bad if somthing goes really wrong (same with not wearing a ground strap when working on a pc) so just be on the lookout and think about what ur doing (IE be sober =)

someone get cathar in here to reply on this lol i want gory math details for my post too

I've never had a problem with magnetic screwdrivers. It's not like they were powered magnets on them or anything, mostly strong enough to grab screws so they don't fall.

Even hard drives are magnetic inside. Waving a magnetic screwdriver over them will do nothing. I've tried with a fairly strong magnet as well, and it did squat to the drive.

The strength of a magnetic field decreases by the square of the distance. There, now you have a gory math detail in your post.
Magnetic screwdrivers are not going to hurt a hard drive unless you physically damage the circuit board.

I use magnetic screwdrivers on most of my builds because of the ease especially when trying to guide screws in tight places. I have never once had a problem even when using right next to an IC or my harddrive. Also most hard drives for that matter are shielded with aluminum housings so it would take a pretty strong magnet like Neodymium to mess it up. The shielding on an hdd is why many have to use very high powered guass machines to penetrate the housing.

i vote no also. i've used magnetic screwdrivers on everything because they're nice when trying to get screws into tight spots. never a single problem either

Back