• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flamethrower 1972's BUILD THREAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you say the lexars are cheap? i found them on amazon for $78, but i have other options at or around that price. if its about the Read/Write speeds, that is only UP TO. the speed on that drive looks nice, i highly doubt you would notice a difference in some of the other drives in that price range. more one using better nand or controller or both. i can not see you noticing a difference between a drive with 3000mb/s on either vs the lexar one.

1st choice looking in 1tb size
2nd
if you do not mind QLC nand

though right now that cruicial P3-plus is $69 on newegg. i personally think going over or having more then 1000mb/s is nice. you may or may not notice a difference in how fast your game loads or levels load. i would say you would be highly pressed to notice a difference between a 1000mb/s then going to a 6000mb/s+ drive. the only way i personally see anyone noticing a difference is dealing with large files. be it video editing or 3d rendering in near real time or having to transfer large files back and forth all the time. in a situation like that faster transfer speed is going to save you time, that is a more a time to cost analysis. everyone has their reason for going with the drive they bought. i just hope the 3 i linked for you gives you something else to consider.
on those 3 they are slower then the ones I am getting.

I have ALOT OF GAMES and I want to spread them out to all the SSD'S 1 will be for OS & Programs mail Microsoft office etc....
Me? I'd get a larger drive... maybe a 512GB for OS and 2TB drive for games. This way you have another slot available for upgrading in the future.

However, I have to ask from knowing your other thread(s)........when are you buying THIS part? As we've said before, if it's going to be months down the road (you said GPU was first and getting it this month) your best bet is to engage when you're a lot closer/actually ready to buy as pricing will change over the coming months...you never know what you can get until you're actually ready to pull the trigger (same with your other parts).

No, my ram is next in March.
Your build is so hard to follow since posts are spread out all over OCF, who knows, lol. Now it's RAM.......gotcha!

Still, my point remains: since you're likely months off from this purchase, look at the pricing in the market then, as things can change. Picking something now and sticking with it is a disservice to yourself ($) who's on a budget.

Your build is so hard to follow since posts are spread out all over OCF, who knows, lol. Now it's RAM.......gotcha!

Still, my point remains: since you're likely months off from this purchase, look at the pricing in the market then, as things can change. Picking something now and sticking with it is a disservice to yourself ($) who's on a budget.
I have been watching prices on everything.

Here it is again.

And it is not in this order of buying.;)

EVRYTHING ON THIS LIST ARE THE PARTS I AM BUYING AND WILL LET THE WORLD NOW WHEN I GET THEM!!!:bang head

EDIT: Merged SSD offshoot with build thread to keep everything in one thread and helpers informed.

Last edited:
So, just to give everyone an idea of where you're at........

...you bought the motherboard so far, but nothing else that was previously mentioned for February, correct? RAM is now the planned purchase in March? Whatever the part is, give us a ping when you're actually ready to pull the trigger, and we'll make sure you're still pointing in the right direction.

I can't wait to see this build and how happy you'll be! :)

EDIT: What is that power reading thing? Do you know that Hwinfo shows you power use like that does? Maybe you can save $60 and just use that data?

EDIT: What is that power reading thing? Do you know that Hwinfo shows you power use like that does? Maybe you can save $60 and just use that data?
... or GPU-Z, as it's pretty accurate. Both work well with most graphics cards.
For voltage checks, just buy a standard multimeter for about $5 if you don't have one.

Next month on the first I am getting my ram. I have to in the order of lowest in price until the will all be the highest prices. And my 4070 ti is going to be for gamming only. I will have a very small amount of programs on the gamming rig the folding rig will be for everything else like mail Microsoft office things of that nature.

I will have a very small amount of programs on the gamming right the folding rig will be for everything else like mail Microsoft office things of that nature.
If you're going to have a dedicated folding rig, let it fold (unless you're forced and can't)!

Re: storage... please clarify......... you seem to want 5x 1TB drives putting together previous posts. You know your motherboard only has 4x M.2 sockets, right? You may want to consider larger capacities. I mean, if you can afford a 'hardware power thing for GPUs', you can cover the slight premium /GB for larger capacity M.2 drives.

If you're going to have a dedicated folding rig, let it fold (unless you're forced and can't)!

Re: storage... please clarify......... you seem to want 5 1TB drives putting together previous posts. You know your motherboard only has 4 M.2 sockets, right? You may want to consider larger capacities. I mean, if you can afford a 'hardware power thing for GPUs', you can cover the slight premium /GB for larger capacity M.2 drives.
I am going to get 3 ssds and I have one in my folding rig that is going to come out who knows I might just get 2 2tb ssds.
Post magically merged:

Re: storage... please clarify......... you seem to want 5x 1TB drives putting together previous posts. You know your motherboard only has 4x M.2 sockets, right? You may want to consider larger capacities. I mean, if you can afford a 'hardware power thing for GPUs', you can cover the slight premium /GB for larger capacity M.2 drives.
My girl only lets me fold for 8 hours a day and not on the weekends I do not like her for that.:mad::bang head

So, just to give everyone an idea of where you're at........

...you bought the motherboard so far, but nothing else that was previously mentioned for February, correct? RAM is now the planned purchase in March? Whatever the part is, give us a ping when you're actually ready to pull the trigger, and we'll make sure you're still pointing in the right direction.

I can't wait to see this build and how happy you'll be! :)

I am at ram keyboard and motherboard OS & mouse.

Last edited:
IMHO, the OS should be the last thing that you buy. I'd buy a key from a site like URCDKEY.com for $20 or less. The only down side to these keys is time. If you buy a key today it won't activate a year from now. However, I've never read about one of these keys being deactivated after the fact.

IMHO, the OS should be the last thing that you buy. I'd buy a key from a site like URCDKEY.com for $20 or less. The only down side to these keys is time. If you buy a key today it won't activate a year from now. However, I've never read about one of these keys being deactivated after the fact.
Well, I already have it so win some loose some.

It sucks that you can't get all your parts at the same time, I'm sure everyone has been in this predicament at one time or another. I know it feels like they're telling you what to do, but they're not, The guys on this forum have years/decades of experience with computers and "know a thing or two about a thing or two" :ROFLMAO: so I'm with everyone else run It by them it can't hurt. :shrug:

Back