• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flamethrower 1972's BUILD THREAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got it but all my points went away????
Post magically merged:

Using a passkey will increase your PPD, which is why we've asked if you're using one. If you aren't using a passkey you're missing out.

Also, in the client control panel make sure the Folding Power slider is set to Full. That's about it these days. There used to be -switches to set on the executable, but those have lost their benefits as the client has been updated.
Okj i did the passkey so what does it do?

I got it but all my points went away????
Post magically merged:

Okj i did the passkey so what does it do?
I see you haven't turned in a WU today. It seems something odd is going on preventing your WUs from completing (if you've been running F@H all day/night.
If the WUs are failing you will need to post a Client Log & someone smarter than me will need to look at it.
First basic toubleshooting question is are the video cards overclocked?

About the Passkey, you will see an increase (pretty nice one) in points once you turn in 10 WUs after putting the Passkey into the Client Control panel.

Where can I get that calculator?
Post magically merged:

I am seeing prices going down.

Last edited:
There's a $20 difference at Microcenter right now. $349.99 vs $369.99
How easy is it for you to get to Indianapolis? Prices are in-store only.

For my new gaming rig I am getting 3 of these SSD'S. Lexar NM790 SSD 1TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal Solid State Drives. Anyone have or are using them tell me how good they work.

For my new gaming rig I am getting 3 of these SSD'S. Lexar NM790 SSD 1TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal Solid State Drives. Anyone have or are using them tell me how good they work.
You should ask this in your build thread (so you can easily find the information - others responding can see your plan/atent starting from scratch). I'll move the posts when I'm not mobile. ;)

Why did you pick these? I haven't dealt with/reviewed them, so not sure offhand.

You can consider a 1TB for OS and 2TB for games. But it depends on how you want to slice your drives up (use case).

Why 3x 1TB? Higher capacity exists so why not look at those?
Price. And I will have a total of 5 terabytes of m2 2280. (y)
Post magically merged:

You should ask this in your build thread (so you can easily find the information - others responding can see your plan/atent starting from scratch). I'll move the posts when I'm not mobile. ;)

Why did you pick these? I haven't dealt with/reviewed them, so not sure offhand.

You can consider a 1TB for OS and 2TB for games. But it depends on how you want to slice your drives up (use case).
I already have a 2 TB SSD 2280 so 4 more 1TB SSD'S will be more than enough for all my games on Steam & EA.

Just some of my thoughts ...
I wouldn't go with 3x1TB, but I guess this is the cheapest option as Lexar is generally one of the cheapest brands.
3 SSDs will limit any other upgrades if you decide to get something faster in some time.
I'm not sure why you need 5TB of space. If you have a lot of things that you barely use then get a cheap external HDD.
RAID on SSD is pointless unless you set RAID1 "just in case". Making JBOD is worse than getting one larger SSD.
1TB SSDs are usually slower than 2-4TB (not like you will see it, but they are).

I had contact with Lexar when they were a Micron brand, but since the brand got sold to China then, I had no chance to test even one.

Just some of my thoughts ...
I wouldn't go with 3x1TB, but I guess this is the cheapest option as Lexar is generally one of the cheapest brands.
3 SSDs will limit any other upgrades if you decide to get something faster in some time.
I'm not sure why you need 5TB of space. If you have a lot of things that you barely use then get a cheap external HDD.
RAID on SSD is pointless unless you set RAID1 "just in case". Making JBOD is worse than getting one larger SSD.
1TB SSDs are usually slower than 2-4TB (not like you will see it, but they are).

I had contact with Lexar when they were a Micron brand, but since the brand got sold to China then, I had no chance to test even one.
I have ALOT OF GAMES and I want to spread them out to all the SSD'S 1 will be for OS & Programs mail Microsoft office etc....

you say the lexars are cheap? i found them on amazon for $78, but i have other options at or around that price. if its about the Read/Write speeds, that is only UP TO. the speed on that drive looks nice, i highly doubt you would notice a difference in some of the other drives in that price range. more one using better nand or controller or both. i can not see you noticing a difference between a drive with 3000mb/s on either vs the lexar one.

1st choice looking in 1tb size
2nd
if you do not mind QLC nand

though right now that cruicial P3-plus is $69 on newegg. i personally think going over or having more then 1000mb/s is nice. you may or may not notice a difference in how fast your game loads or levels load. i would say you would be highly pressed to notice a difference between a 1000mb/s then going to a 6000mb/s+ drive. the only way i personally see anyone noticing a difference is dealing with large files. be it video editing or 3d rendering in near real time or having to transfer large files back and forth all the time. in a situation like that faster transfer speed is going to save you time, that is a more a time to cost analysis. everyone has their reason for going with the drive they bought. i just hope the 3 i linked for you gives you something else to consider.

There are often promos for various Lexar products, making them the cheapest when you browse Amazon. The cheapest, at least compared to products specified similarly.
Crucial P3 is not the best option, no matter how you look at this SSD. It's significantly slower than some, not much more expensive options, it's QLC, and it heats up more than many other SSDs. Crucial T500 is great. It's actually one of the fastest SSDs around for games and heavy tasks and runs cool ... but it costs some more. For some reason, local stores had 1TB T500 for almost as much as the 500GB version.

HP FX900 Pro costs ~$75 - https://a.co/d/f1XbpD8 ... however, there are some mixed reviews. I was testing the 2TB version, and it was pretty good.
There are no cheap SSDs that I would honestly recommend. Everything I would get for a multi-SSD setup is DRAM-less SSDs like Acer Predator GM7 or Patriot VP4300 Lite or something like Crucial T500. All of them cost $15-25 more per SSD (around $82-100).

Back