• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I don't know what to do!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
Hey OCForum freaks, it's your frendly Cerberus2k7 with more of his drama! :burn:

Ok, here's the deal. I was in Arizona attending UAT majoring in 3D Animation. I was really enjoying it but...no car! So my roomate leaves and i'm without a car so I pretty much stop going. I 'aint walking 3 miles in 110º Weather! So I come back to cali to work on general ed, same thing. It's like, 4 miles away, but without a car, I can't find the will to go to school! I went for the first 2 weeks, but then got burned out. Especially after my recent injuries. I am going to try to start going again and see if I can keep a steady pace and make up all my work and hopefully pull off a fairly good grade by the time my semester is over.

Thing that sucks is that my mom says that I just want the car just to have it and that I wouldn't go to school. Then she said that riding my bike 4+ miles is good for me. Yes, it's good. But I don't want to have to ride a damn marathon just to get to school!!! So i'm planning on just kicking some *** and taking some names when it comes to school and work on getting my licence. And once I get that and finish up my general ed(Which i'm not taking any gen ed courses this semester so it kinda defeats the purpose but I have to be in school for insurance :rolleyes: ) I don't know if I want to go back to AZ. I really enjoyed the school and had some good friends there and I think now with a car I would be more prone to go to class and I could get a better job because now i have more experience! :D

So the question in turn stays the same, Should I go back to Arizona and re-enroll at UAT, or stay in cali? Fresno State has a 3D program, but it's very weak and I like UAT because it was focused on computer media. Only thing is, UAT == $$$$$ while FSU == $, but i'm just going to have to get loans. :bang head Anyways, i'm so confused but I know I can hold on...

WHAT SAY YOU?!!?

And if this is in the wrong section, "Whoops", just figured since 3D Animation... :p *Saves text to place in another forums if this gets deleted*

So you have no license? You have no car? Dude, get 1 of those electric or gas powered scooters or something. I'm thinking about getting 1 myself since my truck is a piece of !@#$ with no title that doesn't run anymore, but I'm a broke dropout(going back to highschool in DEC. @ age 19 :eek:) so I'll have to ask my mommy to buy me 1 :D. See your not the only one with problems :D

Cerberus2k7 said:
Then she said that riding my bike 4+ miles is good for me. Yes, it's good. But I don't want to have to ride a damn marathon just to get to school!!!

I was installing commercial security equipment as an apprentice a few years back while living in Florida.

In short -- 3-4 Miles to work in the AM, work 10 hours in the Florida summer heat, ride home 3-4 Miles after a long day of climbing ladders and sweating my you-know-what's off. THEN I could kick back and enjoy my day for the 30 minutes before I went to sleep... to do it all again the next day.

Pay stunk (as an apprentice, only $7 /hr), so I couldn't afford to buy a car and if I could I wouldn't be able to keep it on the road (had a license, and would drive when we went to jobs, but I didn't stay long enough to entertain any 'company van' possibilities).

So, I stopped doing that and decided to go to a vocational school for electronics. If I could I'd get a ride to school (since I knew someone also attending classes there) and would throw my bike in the back of the van to ride the 2-3 miles home later. 3/5 nights a week I would work for 4 hours, then work a weekend day to support myself (cashier at the locak Winn Dixie supermarket). Again, not enough cash for a vehicle.

Eventually things turned around for me, but this just goes to show that there's always someone worse off than yourself!!

"I thought it stunk I had lost my foot in that shipyard accident, until I met a man with no legs."

You know what, I never actually answered your question! lol [sorry for the rant, but you were whining a bit and it triggered my last response]

Should I go back to Arizona and re-enroll at UAT, or stay in cali?

Wherever you go, there you are. If getting a vehicle is the top of the priority list, I wouldn't commit to any schooling until you get that nailed down. Work full time, save for and buy the vehicle, then start school again. Don't do as I did, school + work to support yourself = tehsux :p

Thing is, I have a vehicle. 93 Honda Accord. Just no licence. And I can get my licence, just need to prac which I have been, but after I get my licence, it will be easier for me to get to school. And that was my delema in AZ. No parents, no friends, no ride. But now, I will probably have a ride, but i'm still really confused right now. :(

And I am working and going to school. So yeah, it does suck :attn:

Cerberus2k7 said:
Thing is, I have a vehicle. 93 Honda Accord. Just no licence. And I can get my licence, just need to prac which I have been, but after I get my licence, it will be easier for me to get to school. And that was my delema in AZ. No parents, no friends, no ride. But now, I will probably have a ride, but i'm still really confused right now. :(

And I am working and going to school. So yeah, it does suck :attn:

Well, ask someone to spend a Saturday driving in the city, then that Monday get your butt down to the DMV and take the road test (assuming you have all the other classroom and test requirements fulfilled).

Well, you have a couple of issues going on. Let me take the easy one first.

Which school should you go to? To be honest, you have said that Arizona has the better program and you were happier there. While it may be true that it is a more expensive program, you are in a program that has long term income potential. So money ought not to be a barrier to your education (unlike my friend who has a masters in medieval metaphysics). So long as you can do the work loans and/or grants should be easy to come by.

How do you get to school is the harder one. To be honest, I have to wonder what your motivation is. It sounds to me like what you really want is to get your car on the road. Which is not a bad thing. But the idea that you can't walk 3 miles or bike 4 miles is not a really good reason to bail from class.

One day you will not be in school but going to work. You can be certain that no future employer will cut more than 2 or 3 paychecks if you show up if/as/when you get around to it.

My advice would be to take a semester or two off and do whatever you need to do to get the car on the road then think about going back to school. But when you do go back to school, make sure that you have all your issues settled or you will be back to not going to class before too long. What if your car breaks down (it is 12 years old after all)? Will that be a reason to blow off class? Regardless of the despair you gave us at the start of this thread, 3 miles is not a marathon and provided that you can afford the repairs, you will be back to driving at the end of the week. But if you miss two or three classes, you will be out of synch with the rest of the students (unless you can do a class or two over the 'net) but then you have to actually do the class that way.

I was driving earlier today. Had to get used to the clutch being operated by my foot and not my hand :D And I go to Fresno City College. Why do I have a hard time getting to school? I ride roughly 30-40 minutes to go to class for 2 hours. I am taking roughly 5 classes and I know more than 3 of my teachers. I've read the books they gave us. The books they said we would learn everything from. And I already knew everything in that book! No i'm not trying to sound cocky, but it was really basic windows stuff. I wanted to do a windows XP class to learn more about registry editing and whatnot. Go deeper into the OS ya know? Anyways, I told that to my teacher and she didn't even know what a registry was! I went to class for awhile, was just being told the exact same things I learned in high school.

So I am riding 4+ miles to school so I can get a really minor education. Work I can do fine because i'm getting paid actual money while at school im being told things I already know. Which I can't see myself riding to school, having the teacher tell us to save a file in word using the keyboard shortcut and that's the end of class! And I know 4 miles isnt a marathon, but riding 10+ miles everyday kinda starts to get to you.

And yes I would like some cheese! :p

Hey, the same EXACT thing happened to me when I was in college. I told the teacher I knew MUCH more than her and she gave me the final exam and said "prove it". I answered every question right and quit coming to class, took the credit without having to do the work. The person who writes up the course desciptions should have their a$$ kicked for wasting time and money.

if ya want pm me some time 'n I should be able to help ya out with financial stuff, I'm goin to a good school for half the price just 'cause ya gotta work the system right(UAT kept on askin me to go there actually, I just didn't like that they're a new start up :-/)

Really? Full Sail kept going after me :D But I was talking to some friends who went there and they didn't like it at all.

Back