• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crude OC relaibility test...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
My VCore drops from 1.675 to 1.645 when running P95 and I begin to get errors (274 x 9.5). At 270 x 9.5 VCore changes to ~1.69 and stable for >14 hrs.

Conclusion?
If your VCore swings more than .025 when priming or under load, expect instability. I use this as a *very crude* OC reliability test. So instead of waiting for a few hours for P95 failure, you can get a rough idea of what's going to happen. I noticed this trend 7/10 times. Anybody else see this?

What PSU do you have? I think that mobo has sinks on the MOSFETs, but it's been a long time since I looked at one (have one in a parents comp I built a while back). If it isn't the board, then your PSU isn't up to snuff

Enduro,
Where do I find the MOSFETS and what kind of sink do I need? Ths only sink I have in place is the Thermalright SKL948U. I verified the jumping around theory again...it is true. When I tried 280 x 9.5 I get .55 jumps and P95 fails.

They are at the top left of the board, around the capacitors. Ignore the yellow.

They will be different on your board I guess, but they are small black chips that are clustered close to each other. Do A64 boards have the same problems with mosfets though? I'm not saying they don't, I'm just not sure. You might want to check on that before you spend any money on sinks.
PLL.jpg

I bought the mosfet heatsink kit from Sidewinder for like 11 bucks, and it cut down my vcore flucuations by half.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/michcokit.html

Well, just hazarding a guess, I'd say that the majority of them are behind your cpu socket, and by those capacitors and resistors on the top left. I wish I could recommend touching them to see if they are warm, but they would severly burn your hand, I'm not sure if there is any other way of determining which ones need to be sinked unless you can get a diagram of the vcore mosfets.

Oh, and my second fan is for my NB. You don't have one since your's is integrated, but I have to cool mine quite a bit to reach the higher fsb's.

Back