• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my "OC" fried my board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alzerm

I posted this on TomsHardware yesterday afternoon and have yet to get a response. Hopefully I get more help here. Also I don't know if I'm suppose to add my specs in my sig since this is my first post and I am including them below. If I do please let me know when you respond to this and I will do so before posting again.

The morning of the Battlefield 4 beta release I jumped on and noticed I was lagging quite a bit. I knew that it wasn't my connection rather my weak setup. I got access to the early beta since I pre-ordered the BF4 deluxe edition (which I think may have been kind of stupid with my setup). I decided to "OC" (if I can really even call it that haha) my cpu to see if it'd help. This is the setup I had.

Mobo: MSI 890FXA-GD65
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1035T
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 (F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH)
GPU: VisionTek HD 7850 2GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda LP Hard Drive 1TB 5900rpm 32MB SATA-3G
SSD: SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB (SDSSDX-120G-G25)
Sound Card: Xonar DS
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
PSU: Ultra LSP650 650-Watt
Case: Ultra X-Blaster ATX Black Mid-Tower Case

I looked around and found on a different forum someone who OC'ed the same cpu I had so I went ahead and tried the settings they used. I don't remember the exact settings I had on my setup (which initially worked) but I had tweaked the NB cause I read elsewhere they had sweetspots. The settings if I remember correctly where as follows

3.6ish GHz from a stock 2.6
Multiplier at x13
Bus Speed at 277 MHz
Ram at 1108
NB was in the 2200's

HT was below 2000 (don't remember if it was in the 1700's range or 1900's tbh). Only voltage change I made was to the vcore and that was initially set at 1.36ish if I remember correctly. I ran Prime for almost 2 hours w/o errors so I thought we were golden. I played the beta for a day or two while watching CPU temps in HW Monitor. They never left the 40's and the voltage didn't go past 1.36. I noticed that voltage wasn't passing 1.34 while testing in Prime so I decided to drop it a bit. I don't remember what was the next voltage under 1.36 allowed in my bios but I had set it at that and then decided to jump on the beta again. This is when voltages started to pass what it was set at and even 1.36. I was a bit confused at first when I saw that the max voltage had changed while I was playing. I read a bit on a few sites and saw it was normal for voltage to fluctuate a bit above what it was set at so didn't think anything of it at first.

I don't know much about Oc'ing as you can tell by the way I'm describing this now but I was a was a bit surprised when I saw voltages fluctuating from 1.2x to 1.386 as high as I can remember. What worried me was the fact that I saw something on vdroop while looking for info about voltages. I thought there might be instability since tweaking the voltage from 1.36 to a lower voltage. I am honestly not even sure if I was suppose to change the voltage on the vcore or if voltage on something else was suppose to be tweaked :eek:. It helped at the time and I was running fine until three days ago when I decided to drop the voltage even lower so I wouldn't get into the 1.4x range and hopefully keep my temps even lower w/ less power on them.

I decided to try dropping the vcore to 1.2ish and work my way up to a stable voltage. I got a few BSODs before I made it into Win 7 long enough to start a test on OCCT. I had been using Prime the entire time while running tests in the 1.3x range with no errors. I ran OCCT for the first time and while in the 1.2x range. I got some errors and was about to start checking them out a few mins after the test had stopped but my pc got another BSOD. The pc stopped powering on so like with most BSOD's I tried clearing cmos which didn't help. Tested Mobo w/ different cpu, psu and also tried my cpu, and psu on another board. Came to the conclusion that my mobo was shot.

My questions are where did I mess up and what might have caused my mobo die? Could it be the multiple BSODs or lower voltages on vcore? I want to fully understand what may have caused the mobo to die if you guys can help me with that. I contacted MSI a few mins ago and I will be sending in my board. I don't know if it will be replaced/repaired but I don't want to make the same mistakes in the future with this/other setups.

Was also thinking of getting a FX 6300 before the board died out on me. Would OC'ing that CPU on this board fry it as well?

How many power phases does your dead board have? If only 4, it's a possibility you fried the mosfets, they can't handle the heavy load the CPU has when overclocked.

That board, when googling it, seems robust in the power area. You were not pushing it hard either with that voltage. If the mobo died, it was a freak thing not because it wasn't up to the task when working properly.

According to this it is 8+2 which is good isn't it?

@EarthDog yeah I was confused by it failing at a lower voltage. That is why I wanted to know if it could have been the multiple BSOD's or maybe the stresstesting done in OCCT?

Who knows honestly... the board should have been able to support the overclock if it was working properly.

You think it might be able to handle an OC'ed FX-6300?

Don't know about the 890 gd65, but the 990 gd65 does throttle when OCing 6/8 clores fx chips.

^agreed. MSI f...ed up big time with this one... Why so much powaaaa if you can't use it!

I remember rumors of msi 790fx and 890fx boards dying because they couldn't handle over clocks and higher currents. I think it was gd80's that had issues during the phenom2 era. A web search might bring some of those up.

Did you do an extended CLR CMOS where you take out the battery, un plug the PSU and put the jumper on overnight? Look over the board around the socket and see if you can see an burned or discolored areas.

Well, that said, another site reported no problems with it...and its all in green.

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

Well, I got real bad feedback from members of this site about the MSI 990fx-GD65 (RGone and Mandrake IIRC). They also told me that some of the last Gigabyte revisions have the issue as well.

Mine died anyway, withva PhII [email protected]/1.55v... and I replaced it with a Sabertooth r2.0.

PS: I've seen this tab, that's why I chose the MSI.

I believe I did clear the CMOS but with the battery still in and the PSU connected. It's been disconnected for a few days but I will try and boot up right now then get back at you.

Fans jumped for a second like usual but system won't get going. Well I'm shipping it to MSI tomorrow. Hopefully I don't get back the same board because I want to upgrade to a FX-6300 and OC that.

I've been looking at other mobos and wanted to know which you guys think may be best for OC'ing my 1035t and or an FX-6300 in the near future for under $150.

990FXA-UD3
990FXA-GD65V2 (keep hearing mixed reviews on this one as well)
M5A97 EVO

Unsure if I will be able to play BF4 w/ my current CPU OC'ed @3.6ghz and my GPU so looking around to see which of the two I may need to upgrade (hopefully just one of the two lol)

Last edited:
Did the fans only spin a bit then quit again and everything was dark. That " Ultra" PSU might be the issue. Do you have anything you could swap it with??

That was the first thing I swapped out. It was more like a mild kick in the fans than an actual spin.

Now just to figure out if I can run BF4 w/ this cpu and gpu

Sorry I missed that in all that info. If you don't want to go all out with the eight core( which takes a serious mobo and cooling if you wat to OC it. I would recommend the M5A99FX pro r2 and a 6350. I have that combo here and it's just right. Mind you I haven't done a lot of gaming on it but It's OC'd to 4.6 on a so so CM V- air cooler. and hits 50c running prime so with a better cooler you could probably get more I have had this chip in my Sabertooth with water and it can really scream.

reading a couple of quick reviews, I'm suprised you had a failure.
the board has plenty of power and features for the price and much good said about it.

none of the boards listed are for the 6300 overclocked.

and quite frankly getting an fx to replace your thuban is a DOWNGRADE.
you want a 6300 I'll trade you and I assure you you will be getting the short end of the stick.
and i am an amd fanboy, just look in my sig.

Yeah I read somewhere that the thuban was better than the original fx. The reason why the 6300 caught my eye is because I found it for 110 and it's stock speeds are 3.5 compared to my 2.6. If I can run BF4 on this board w/ my 1035t OC'ed @3.6 I have no problem with that. That would just leave me more money to upgrade my gpu and or upgrade to some better ram.

I am honestly starting to think the board might have died cause of my lack of fans which I forgot to mention XD haha

Back