• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting a fan as exhaust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

i have no experience whatsoever with installing fans, so i have a very stupid question. if i wanted to set a 120mm fan as exhaust in the rear of my case, do i just install it backwards, or do i have to buy an actual exhaust fan?

once again, apologies for the stupid question

Most fans have arrows on the frame to denote the direction of air flow and rotation...But not all fans..

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

damn you guys =(...i didnt JUST join the forums; note the 3 stars. i feel so pathetic

or basing on my experience, its trial and error, when u turn ur pc on, u will now which way the fan is blowing, in or out :) WELCOME TO THE FORUMS DUDE! MAY YOU HAVE SUCCESS IN OVERCLOCKING :) hehehe

if i clip the grill, should i leave it bare, or place some kind of screen over it

elitebear4 said:
if i clip the grill, should i leave it bare, or place some kind of screen over it

Depends really, if you have pets, children then I would say yes. If it is exhausting I wouldn't even bother. My back 2 fans exhaust and don't have any grills.

*I was just messing around with you. All in good fun. We all have brain farts at times. LOL

FAN SPEED: 3200RPM AIR FLOW : 42CFM

42 CFM is definitely not what I would call serious air
These things are useless IMO

Agreed, but they are usefull for sucking the heat off a graphics card, however they are to noisy for me.

As for figuring out which direction the fan blows, you could take notice how the blades are curved. Look at the other fans and see how they are mounted.

LabRat23 said:
Agreed, but they are usefull for sucking the heat off a graphics card, however they are to noisy for me.
A regular 80mm or 92mm fan gives far superior performance a lesser noise level.
I still think the exhaust blowers are useless.

Back