• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI's New Desktop Mobo for Dothan!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yep, just saw it at pcper as well... a desktop board for P-M. sure looks nice. wonder where did anand get 2.8 P-M though.

Drools thats my next computer right there. 250fsb dothan would rock some serious Athlon/P4 ***. Imagine good water cooling on that.

Actually maybe a Celeron M system to offset that awfully high Pentium M price.

Celeron M? No. Dothan! I see my next possible upgrade right here. What's got the lowest multi on a Dothan? Would they be locked 'cause of something similar to powernow?

pwnt by pat said:
Celeron M? No. Dothan! I see my next possible upgrade right here. What's got the lowest multi on a Dothan? Would they be locked 'cause of something similar to powernow?

afaik lowest multi is 6.
and multi is controllable from 6 to nominal mult whether in bios or with software. voltage is also software-controllable ;)

caater said:
dunno why they are talking about anandtech when it was x86-secret.org who tested this mobo ... :|
http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=113

F'm...never liked anandtech, i won't even bother looking at their articles :beer:

ANyway....can't wait for the DFI board to be released...i know i will be buying it ASAP!!! omg:::drool:::::eek:mg!!!

I've got a Dothan 1.6 and all the others parts just waiting for the mainboard to be released! :D

HAHA I found the article at x86 secret.

http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/cm/dfi855/dfi855-10.htm

It hit 2.8GHz on 1.6v and the fsb was at 175MHz.

28cpuz.png

Super pi @ 25sec which I believe is the record for a PIV right now at around 5GHz on liquid nitrogen.

28sp.png

Doom 3.

oc-1.png

It was stable at apparently 2.55GHz @ 1.36v.

cpuz-03b.png

Who ever was thinking that these processors would npot scale are having a pipe dream!

It is pretty funny cause all they are using to cool this CPU is a north bridge copper cooler.

board-17b.jpg

Well here is what they have the processors specs.

Results

sSpec Number
SL7UZ
Processor Frequency
2.10 GHz CPUID String
06D6h
Package Type
479 pin H-PBGA Core Voltage
1.287V-1.400V
Bus Speed
400 MHz Thermal Guideline
21.0W
Core Stepping
B1 Thermal Spec
100°C
L2 Cache Size
2 MB Manufacturing Technology
90 nm
L2 Cache Speed
2.10 GHz Bus/Core Ratio
Spec Update
http://developer.intel.com/design/mobile/pentiumm/documentation.htm
Product Order Codes

OEM Order Code
RH80536GC0452M

21w @ 2.1GHz @ 1.3~1.4v.

Lets do some figuring on how mazny watts this chip produces @ 2.8GHz and 1.6v.

Doing the math it is some where between 36w and 40w @ 2.8GHz.

So theoretically they could throw three of these @ 2.55GHz on one core and it would equal about the same watts as a 2.6GHz A64 single core.

@ 2.55GHz and 1.36v it was running around 24w.

pwnt by pat said:
I dont think a laptop chip could be locked,reason being the company (dell aliendware ect) seem to clock to chip to its cooling abilities inside the laptop,so they can alter the speed to allow it to run cooler while adding the lost art of intel multiplier changing (looks back to intel and smiles)

The DFI board itself is still a strange animal though. It's a big step towards a proper implementation of the Pentium-M on the desktop, but several drawbacks are apparent here:

- AGP 4x and DDR333; both 'older' standards
- mATX format means only two PCI slots, which you'll need dearly because...
- the AC97 sound is dated and the first PCI slot is right next to the AGP

That 2.8Ghz overclock looks nice, but I did notice that they were using a custom "Samuel D." bios. X86-secret does offer it on their forum though.
No CPU voltage settings are supported, which makes that overclock an amazing feat (requiring a voltmod).

Most of these things will probably not matter to people looking for a quiet box/media pc, but if you want a primarily quiet PC you could probably get one much cheaper and trade some performance in-- who needs 3D artillery when the box needs to play DVDs only?

Performance is nice at 2.55Ghz, although the competition is left at stock speeds. Less convincing is the variation in rank depending on which test is being done. Also, if you look at UT2003 scores, the Pentium-M botmatch results are relatively low compared to those of flyby... as if complex tasks choke the CPU more than they do the A64 or P4.

So what happens when you run 1.75v through these puppies and vapo them?
sasmokin.gif

Back