• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI's New Desktop Mobo for Dothan!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ssetre said:
I think the reason why the Dothan isn't as hot as the desktop chips is because of the fact that it doesn't have the memory bandwidth to compete. But considering it waxes a 2.4ghz ahtlon 64 when its at 2.55 is pretty spectactular. The Dothan schools everything AMD has in terms of IPC but its limited to what a quater of the membandwidth and only comes close when heavily overclocked and then only comes in at half. You can't shake a stick at that.

This is not correct. It is cooler because to put it simple it can turn off for a fragment of the second the unused parts of the cpu.

Maxvla said:
also people need to realize you can run a dvd box with one of these chips at about 600mhz without even a heatsink :eek:

should be able to do 1000-1200mhz easily with just a passive heatsink.
lets try to do that with precott
;)

Maxvla said:
also people need to realize you can run a dvd box with one of these chips at about 600mhz without even a heatsink :eek:

should be able to do 1000-1200mhz easily with just a passive heatsink.

1.8ghz passive according to x86-secret ;)

in the review they say "The 855-series chipset is similar in feature set to the Intel 865-series"... hmm, 855 is more like a variation on an 845 by the looks of it. when p-m chipsets get better fsb potencial and dual channel memory, i am pretty much sure it's going to be something to give a run for the money to both pIV and a64.

I didn't mean HOT as in tempature wise people!!! I meant performance wise. You strap an 800fsb with dual channel 400DDR on their and you watch the performance go up in everything where the P4's and Athlons catch up.

Cache and branch predicting can only do so much when there is an obvious lack of raw bandwidth to the chip.

That would be such an awesome quiet case. You just watercool everything and use some very very low DB fans on the rad and the case and you wouldn't hear it from 2 feet away.

Hot damn....

Faster than a 4000+, low power, low cooling needs.

I think I found the chip I want for my next rig. :D

Just needs a better chipset, PCIE support and at least PC3200. Looks extremely promising. Perhaps the future of desktops?

I just wish shuttle would make a little box for it. Isn't Dothan compatible with P4? So Dothan should be able to run on any P4 chipset with a little bit of engineering?

No, dothan is a complete different architecture than the p4. You could adapt a chipset to it, but it would require a lot of modification. (This is being done by dfi as is, however)

JCLW said:

there's a little differences..
pentium M uses lower signalling voltage than p4 and has extra pins/paths
for power-saving features.
though, as been said (according to x86-secret.com), dfi has been working
on lower-cost i852 chipset mobo, which is used my mobile p4's and so
they have successfully converted p-m bus to p4 bus.. and if they'd want,
they'd make a 875 mobo.
but that won't happen.. the next step is 915 mobo for p-m..

so converting is possible but it's not easy as soldering 478 wires to make
a diy converter.. :)

I would guess that these chips would benefit more from dual DDR than duall DDR2 because of their efficiency, similar to the Athlons in terms of pipeline length. So DDR and low latency plus a decent bus speed should give a nice boost.

It's 27000¥ so the price will be around 270 $ in us as well. I wonder why so expensive, the chipset ? Maybe if the production will ramp up the price might go down.

Kuroimaho said:
It's 27000¥ so the price will be around 270 $ in us as well. I wonder why so expensive, the chipset ? Maybe if the production will ramp up the price might go down.

dfi has i855 plus ich5r with pci-x support.. so chipset is expensive..
but the reason for such a price is.. not much competition in that area :)

I bought my tB1 stepping Tualerons from them. Never ordered anything online from them but nice guys in the store.

Back