• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bartons and x800xt's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

austinbmxnig

i have a 2.4ghz barton, (rig in sig) and my x800xt gets here today, and it just occured to me that i have a slight cpu bottleneck (could be much worse but its not any fx-55) any tips on getting the best possible setup, i just reformatted last night so windows is clean, 4.10 cats......any other tips for getting the most out of it?

well, what kind of OS are you using, you could always tweak it up a little. That will help your performance.

don't use cats, use the omega 2.5.90, they work much better performance wise.

SpliT71 said:
don't use cats, use the omega 2.5.90, they work much better performance wise.
I totally agree, the new 4.10 cats DO NOT have the fix for the memory allocation. They are based on the 8.062 driver set. Use the Omegas as Split has suggested or get the ATI 8.07 hotfix, as they are essentailly the same drive set with different interface (ati Control Panel, or Radlinker for the Omegas) your card will run much better with these drivers than the official 4.10 cat's. Then just crank up that CPU a bit and you'll be golden. Looks like you have good ram, do you have enough of it? If so you might not notice as big of a bottleneck as you are anticipating.

GOOD LUCK!!!! :)

edit* Fry's had the Xtasy X800XT's for like 549 the other day..in stock!

the omega's seem to work better...and i REALLY need a gig of ram, im thinking some $300 like woah stuff that i can use when i switch to a64

Aye with 512 meg of ram, even if you ave a nice board and all, it won;t jive too well. I was being held back by 512 and as soon as i thrw more it it exploded into a great system. I now get 12056 in 3dmark 03. And that sjust with the cats.

I'm at work right now so don't have any bench numbers handy, but Omega's and 1 gig ram pulled me up to acceptable levels...

for now...

I think the extra ram will give you a decent boost, make sure you get some serious low latency stuff, even if you get pc4000 type or faster ram get the fastest possible latency. The 4-4-4-12 garbage they are selling these days performs really bad on A64 setups...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-938&depa=0

this is decent ram for a A64 at high HTT and ram speeds. At slower speeds Cas2 is a good bet with this stuff.

As far as the Barton, it's not a bottleneck at this point with games, just benchmarks like Sandra...

Back