• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SUSE won't start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BUBBLE

I've got down the SUE linux 9.1 version in a dvd media. In the installtion mode it won't detect the monitor correctley but the installtion is going smoothly. After everything is done and wehen it restarts and trying to go into the GUI mode, in that time monitor flickers one time an dno display comes. Is this because the monitor is not detect by the linux or something to do with my vga card?
My monitor is a DELL D1226H (According to the MS :temper: config page) VGa card is S# Trio 32/64 2MB card :D . So can anyone explain me how to overcome this and get into the gui mode? Can it be due to the lack of the vga card memory ause suse is reuiring lots of video memory?

I installed the red hat 9 and in the probe time it won't detect the monitor iether but it goes to gui mode and working ok. But I really need to use th eSUSE Linux cause I got it down very hardly an dit is my favourite ditro.

Something must be wrong in the X-Config. This is the reason I don't boot into a GUI. You'll have to get your self kicked out of the gui, by pounding on ctrl-alt-backspace, untill you get to a CLI. Probally take about 4 or 5 trys.

From there make your way into /etc/X11/

You most likley are using xfree86, so your config file that you are going to want to open is xf86config-4 (4 is for verion 4, which you should also be using)

Now you are going to need to poke around in here to find your monitor settings, also a good time to hit google. Find the correct refersh rates and sync rates, and make sure they are entered in correctly.

You will also want to hit up the display section, and set your resolutions. Make sure you only put in options that are supported.

Might not be a bad idea to edit your inittab file while you are here, so you don't boot into a GUI that doesn't work. Change the init=5 to init=3, you will see what I mean, when you are there.

Then, cross your fingers, and type startx.

Another way to go about this is to copy the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 from a distro that works correctly in GUI mode. Knoppix and other live Linux CD's are an excellent way to get this sort of thing done because you don't have to install them to your HDD since they run off the CD and in a ramdisk.

Thanks for the replies, I think first I'll try the configuring the etc/X11 file as fishy say because hard learning willbe lot worthy. BTW I still have windows in side so os failure won't impact my work that much. I'm still noob to this linux and recentley started to learn this and still keep on working on it. I like the idea of copying the file straightly from the knoppix also but i'll kepp it to the last option to try out. But hey akraine thanks for your support.
Well I think if this didn't work i'll stick to the cli mode for lots on hands experince on the comand mode. BTW if i get into the cli mode how can i play the mp3 and the moies once in a while?

BUBBLE said:
BTW if i get into the cli mode how can i play the mp3 and the moies once in a while?

With a GUI ;)

There maybe be a CLI MP3 player, but you will need a running X server to watch video.

CLI is no fun for a computer you use everyday. Even with a GUI you will get plenty of experience with it. Pratically everything that you do in the GUI is with the CLI. When you get it up and running, rip KDE off of it, and install Fluxbox, that will force you to do alot more with the CLI instead of cheating with all of KDEs config tools.

Back