• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can only ping one direction

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RadiationMan

I am wanting to share an internet connection through my main pc to a switch and then to another pc. I also want to be able to play games across the LAN.

Like this:
100a.jpg

XPpro is running on both pc's. I ran the network connection wizard on both pc's. I am able to ping the client pc from my main pc just fine, no problems. Yet when I ping the main pc from the client, I get a "request timed out". I am not able to access the internet on the client at all with this setup.

I tried manually configuring things.
MAIN:
NIC #1 (internet connection):
Obtains IP address automatically

NIC#2 (connected to switch):
IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

CLIENT (connected to switch)
IP address: 192.168.0.3
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

I have switched out different NIC's and CAT5 cables with no change. I am able to access the internet on the client pc directly from the cable modem via the switch.

Like this:
011.jpg

What am I doing wrong? This is the first time I have ever tried to set up a network.

I have internet sharing turned on in the advanced tab of properties for the sharing NIC on the main pc.

I use zone alarm for my firewall. I turned it off and turned off the windows firewall.

If you have two or more IPs available from your ISP you should do it this way:

011.jpg

You would be better served by using a router in place of the switch though. This will protect your network better so you will not have to run firewall software on all PC's connected to the switch.

Kendan said:
If you have two or more IPs available from your ISP you should do it this way:

011.jpg

You would be better served by using a router in place of the switch though. This will protect your network better so you will not have to run firewall software on all PC's connected to the switch.

if you plan on keeping your computers connected in a lan , i would highly suggest what kendan said. if you only receive 1 ip address, get a router. they aren't that expensive anymore and will make your life much easier. then the 1st computer doesn't have to stay on for the 2nd to get internet.

MAIN:
NIC #1 (internet connection):
Obtains IP address automatically

NIC#2 (connected to switch):
IP address: 192.168.0.1

This is backwards. NIC #1 is the outside connection. It *must* be 192.168.0.1 for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to work. This is a limitation of M$.

Is NIC #1 connected to a modem? If so, this will work fine.

If you connect both machines to the switch, they will both have to get IPs from the modem. This may or may not work depending on your ISP.

NIC #1 is hooked up to a cable modem requiring a dynamic IP address.

Setting aside the whole internet sharing problem for just a second, I think there is something wrong with the peer to peer connection between the two pc's since I can't ping. Turning file sharing off shouldn't keep you from pinging should it?

What am I missing that could block the connection in only one direction?

mbentley said:
... get a router. they aren't that expensive anymore and will make your life much easier. then the 1st computer doesn't have to stay on for the 2nd to get internet.
I agree. I have been wanting to get a router and probably will. I am basically just experimenting with what I have now, to try and learn more about networking. I understand I can't share the internet with the 1st pc off, even though it is never turned off, folding 24/7 for team 32. :)

RadiationMan said:
NIC #1 is hooked up to a cable modem requiring a dynamic IP address.

Setting aside the whole internet sharing problem for just a second, I think there is something wrong with the peer to peer connection between the two pc's since I can't ping. Turning file sharing off shouldn't keep you from pinging should it?

What am I missing that could block the connection in only one direction?

are you pinging the machine using ip addresses or their computer names? if you are just using their names, try the ip addresses. it could be that one computer just hasn't recognized the name of the other computer....

Back