• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torn between Opteron and Xeons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

Guys I am torn between Opterons and Xeons.
I can spend $1250 for Case, CPUs, PSU, Mobo, and Memory.

Overclocking is a bonus, but I want fastest out of the box. I just want pure power.

Honestly you'll have trouble building a nice system dualie for that much, that is if you're meaning to do some major computing.

What are you going to be doing on those procs? (that is the main question that needs to be answered)

-Sam

If you had two grand to play with though, definitly go with the Opterons. They can handle MORE DATA. They run COOLER, and are MORE FUTURE PROOF. (just highlighting the important parts). They have shorter pipelines so you get MORE POWER PER CLOCK and if you're running something such as MySQL databases, it will be FASTER on a Opteron for the price you're paying. Most people just go with Xeon because they dont see it as UBER highend, and they see Opteron as such. Don't be afraid of Opteron, because you WONT be sorry if you get them...

-Sam

a decent opteron or xeon will run you $350 or more per chip, and you'll need ECC registered memory. this means that the memory will be mroe expensive and slower. so you'll be best just doing it up with a single athlon 64 FX on socket 939. however, with the money you have, it is probably going to be best spent on an athlon 64 on socket 754, which, depending on your purposes, is probably the best for the money.

if you'ore gaming, then single athlon 64 is the way to go. dual chips are only useful if you're doing serious number crunching or multitasking, like a server. otherwise you're wasting your money.

just shoot for a good, old-fashioned (if it can be called that), single athlon 64 chip and board.

Last edited:
yes Dual Opt is King, now you should get a single (FX or 64) for that price you have. It will last you a longer time then a crappy dual.

Get Nocona Xeons (especially the low voltage 2.8 GHz) with an Asus NCCH-DL mobo and overclock it how far it will go ... you don't even need ECC reg ram so you can go even faster.

Back