• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

backup software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skidooosl

What type of backup software do you use to back up your files? I need something that will work well backing up multipule volumes and such.

Just now I back up to DVD, but I have used Norton Ghost before and I think its pretty cool. You can copy partitions to other partitions, image partitions and store the image as a compressed file, and restore a compressed image to a partition.

Or invest in a dual layer DVD burner - 8.5GB per disk?

I would recommend Backer if you want to synchronize your files with your backup.

http://www.cordes-dev.de/english/overview.html

It is very easy to use and very reliable. This is an ideal software if you're doing daily backups to an external hard disk or removable disc because you do not need to copy all files, only those that differ. The preview lets you select the files that you want to copy. If you don't want to preview the files each time you do a backup, you can de-select this option.

However, Backer allows you to back up only one volume at a time.

joker2 said:
I would recommend Backer if you want to synchronize your files with your backup.

http://www.cordes-dev.de/english/overview.html

It is very easy to use and very reliable. This is an ideal software if you're doing daily backups to an external hard disk or removable disc because you do not need to copy all files, only those that differ. The preview lets you select the files that you want to copy. If you don't want to preview the files each time you do a backup, you can de-select this option.

However, Backer allows you to back up only one volume at a time.

Hey joker! Thanks for the link. I've been looking for something like this for years. This will definitely beat backing up the entire 80+GB archive directory on a weekly basis...

You're welcome, Hafa. Glad to help out. There are some idiosyncrasies with this software that you need to be aware of.

When you're backing up a large file, say a few hundred MBs in size, and you toggle from another screen back to Backer, the backup is often interrupted and you have to start backing up from that file onwards.

Some files cannot be backed up by backer either because they are not recognized or the file name is too long.

If you try it and find a solution to these problems, please let me know (through this forum).

Back