• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI Launches SPATIUM M570 HS M.2 PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

msifeat.jpg
Yesterday, MSI launched its Spatium M570 HS PCIe 5.0 M.2 NVME SSD. Boasting extreme speeds of up to 10,000 MB/sec sequential read and writes, this latest generation of NVMe sets the bar higher than ever. The Spatium M570 HS is available in 1 Tb and 2 TB models and includes a chunky heatsink to help keep temperatures low and stave off throttling caused by high temperatures. Also included is a data backup and monitoring software by Actify. Pricing was not mentioned in the below press release.
Click here to read more!

Last edited by a moderator:
with NVMe's coming with their own large heatsinks, and GPU cards coming with such large heatsinks, it wouldn't surprise me if both motherboards and cases are about to undergo a complete redesign to account for extra size, weight, and locations of these components. i mention motherboards because of the crappy design of placing the M.2 slots underneath the GPU's (even though some models have a slot above the GPU) and also because the GPUs are now sagging due to the lack of natural weight support.

otherwise, i wish i could afford a new system already, but even if i won the Powerball tonight, i'd prolly still wait for the next gen AMD CPU and the the next gen Nvidia GPU (partly because of the dual UHD 240Hz monitor i'm looking at) because i want all the PCIe 5.0 / DDR5 stuff (even though i prolly won't ever need it... lol) After all, Forgotten Legend has all Pcie 4.0 / DDR4 stuff

why am i always broke... /sigh /looks at PC... oh yeah....

In a sense motherboards already have. The addition of metal PCIe slots to help support the heavier cards and, as you mentioned, the relocation of the M.2 slots. All the flagship motherboards have incorporated heatsinks for the M.2 (at least some of the M.2) and with many of the new PCIe 5 M.2 heatsinks coming with fans I would expect motherboards to start doing the same. Maybe a monoblock-style heatsink with a heat pipe to the chipset, similar to VRM coolers. I'm just spitballing here.

I agree(ish) but I think we've already seen the changes for the most part. Reinforced pcie slots have been around for generations now. And many of these heavier cards include some kind of strut/support as well.

As far as nvme, boards have also been changing for generations now, offering larger heatsinks for the primary nvme socket. People don't like tiny fans (uproar from x570...?) On their boards.. so not sure we'll see a lot of that. Maybe high-end to flagship, but I don't think you see that trickle very far down the product stacks. Next-gen boards will be the telltale sign as drives will finally be out en masse.

Most boards have m.2 sockets above and below the top graphics slot with the primary on top.. been that way for quite a while. You can easily run a SATA-based m.2 or pcie 3.0 drive under a graphics card without throttling. Hell, 4.0
too, but it may throttle with long sessions. Are you running massive transfers while gaming? Something to consider as well. There are not many places to put other sockets... I've seen them next to the ram, but that's an uncommon config too.

We'll be fine. Primary m.2 socket heatsinks will get bigger as the drives run hotter, but the motherboard will still keep the basic config we know today.

Almost all motherboards have PCIe 5.0 M.2 sockets above graphics cards or next to RAM (on the PCB directly or add-on cards like ASUS DIMM.2). PCIe 4.0 SSD don't need so large heatsinks and some brands like Gigabyte solved that in a perfect way, with a large flat heatsink that covers multiple sockets and doesn't interfere with large graphics cards.

I would only expect that new SSD will heat up less and deliver similar performance or better than older series. In reality, new SSD are not much faster while they require better cooling. People finally see that sequential bandwidth doesn't mean much in daily work or games and faster random performance is the most important. At least there are many more comments about it around the web than a couple of years ago.
All currently presented or already released M.2 PCIe 5.0 SSD have 10-12GB/s sequential read/write, but about 70MB/s random 1T1Q 4K, so the same or even worse than most non-budget PCIe 4.0 SSD.

Some brands already changed small chipset and M.2 fans to larger and better designed heatsinks. I'm surprised that ASRock is starting to push their new heatsinks with fans as a separate product for many of their motherboards. I already tested it on the B650 PG-ITX and it's a total fail. I can only say 12k RPM fan which runs randomly at max speed. I guess it says all.

I'm surprised that ASRock is starting to push their new heatsinks with fans as a separate product for many of their motherboards.
Im not. They can design their motherboards freely and have a separate product for those who care enough to want to hear a 12k fan scream like a banshee without really doing much. I've got six or seven of those things lying around here for months now collecting dust (after testing one).

Im not. They can design their motherboards freely and have a separate product for those who care enough to want to hear a 12k fan scream like a banshee without really doing much. I've got six or seven of those things lying around here for months now collecting dust (after testing one).
One of the main features pushed by marketing nowadays is quiet work. Users don't want these small and noisy fans, most brands modify their motherboards, so the cooling is fully passive ... yet, ASRock back to the design from 10 years ago. This is the thing which surprises me as ASRock used to have new and fresh ideas. As some people said (I don't remember on which website), better would be to install still large, but heatsink with heatpipes like Thermalright is selling. It would look better and would be passive. Then I would say that's a good idea to upgrade an existing motherboard. I can't believe that anyone will buy pretty bad looking ASRock M.2 cooler with 12k RPM fan for a higher series motherboard that looks like Taichi.

The problem, to me, is that using these heatsinks from the drive, they don't match the motherboard.... and to what end? To not throttle after running over a minute of transfers? The same larger heatsinks we've seen for the fastest M.2 sockets will work about the same, really...

As far as ASRock's device, same... they don't really match their own boards... but most also don't have beefy top heatsinks for the M.2 either... they made themselves a perceived need.

TBH we don't really know how badly or often the Gen 5 M.2's will be (throttling) until we get some in for review. It seems like they are going to start trickling in soon though.

True, but I'd be floored if these run cooler than the 4.0 drives. I'd gather they aren't making these things and aftermarket solutions bigger because they need less cooling and won't sell, ya know?

What a day we live in, where you can get a laptop that has a decent quad core CPU and 8+GB of high speed RAM and can be passively cooled but...the OEM had to add a fan due to the storage.

Back