• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What use could I have for a dually?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hi,

I've always wanted to try and build a dual processor rig.

Would I have an actual use for one? As I might try and build a PIII rig or a dual Duron, if that's even possible.

If it isn't going to be worth my while I might not bother.
But I might have to build a server for work soonish (as the car dealership doesn't have a proper IT guy).

Thanks,

I'll probably meet some new faces in here as I'm not in this part of the forum very often!

Well, possible benefits of a dually:
  • Coolness factor
  • Video and Audio Encoding
  • Compiling software
  • Server Applications
  • Twice the Folding@Home power (or SETI power) in one box

Dual Durons are possible with the morgan cores, perhaps also the Applebreds with a mod. But for the price, I would say get a couple XP's and mod them into MP's if thats the route you want to go. Finding a socket A dual board cheap is the tricky part, they tend to still be on the pricey side even though they are on the way out.

You could also ebay a dual P3 board fairly cheap, and I don't think you really need that much cpu power for what you need to do so I think they should be fast enough for you. And go for socket 370 on this route as the slot P3's at high frequencies get rediculously expensive.

Seeing how you have a Athlon 3000+ --- most cheap dualies won't be very useful for you and will probably be slower with things that they are supposed to excel at like encoding. Of course, if you got like dual MP 1500+s or something then it might be worth it. I am sure ebay has Cheap MP processors for sale.

As for uses David pretty much got them all. Unless you do editing, encoding, rendering, or a LOT of multitasking (ie. watching a DVD on one monitor + surfing the net, and on the other monitor encoding a DVD or something) I couldn't really see the point. Most people assume dualies will be kick *** gaming rigs on top of all the other benefits, but they really don't game well, they just do eveything else VERY well -- I can attest to that.

If you have the money for a cheaper PIII dualie or somthing though -- the cool factor is definatly there. It really is pretty amazing to see a dualie just all built in front of you!

Good luck on whatever your decision is!

Spec

So, as a server computer at work.
i.e Distributing several ADSL lines around, sharing about 12 printers, swapping files around. A nice Athlon64 would be better than a PIII dually or an Duron? Becuase I think they are gonna want one at work and they are in cheap budget mode at the monent. So might be building it. Also what OS is best for a server?

Quattro said:
So, as a server computer at work.
i.e Distributing several ADSL lines around, sharing about 12 printers, swapping files around. A nice Athlon64 would be better than a PIII dually or an Duron? Becuase I think they are gonna want one at work and they are in cheap budget mode at the monent. So might be building it. Also what OS is best for a server?

I would say Linux for a server, but it depends. Who will be using? Will it be serving apps?

Back