• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

when i jump to 133mhz , my pc .......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TZH

Registered
i can't over clock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when i jump my jumpper to 133mhz my computer can't work
so i only can run when 100mhz ................
why ?????
any one can tell me WHY ???????
plese.............
is it problem of RAM , or GRAPHIC CARD , or MOTHER BOARD , or CPU CHIPS ,or ............. ???????????
my one is 1.7 p4 ,SHUTTLE mv42n ,GF4 MX440 ,256MB SDR 133

.....Whoa....calm down -.-
You're acting like a plane just crashed into your bedroom@_@

There could be many reasons why you can't post at 133 FSB.
RAM timings too tight, CPU can't run at 133 fsb, agp/pci bus out of spec (not likely though).

There could be another jumper or setting that needs to be changed though (maybe even in BIOS).

And that's a 1.7 ghz P4....aren't those 133 FSB chips natively?? I never knew they were 100 fsb chips....

And you're using SDRAM with a P4? @@.............
My old P3 1.0e @ 1125 mhz (fsb 150) might have been faster than that...

Anyway, why cant you overclock a little, like, 1 FSB at a time, or something small, to 112 FSB? When you overclock, you need to go slowly, to find out what will limit the overclock.

The 1.7 P-4 is a Willamette and yes they are 100 FSB default. You probably won't make 133 FSB either. Even the best 1.7 Willamettes would top out at about 2.0 to 2.1 gig with normal air cooling. I don't suppose you have a 112 FSB setting on the mobo?

i tried

I tried it before but the jumper only can choise 100mhz or 133mhz only ,
....... my mother board can handle SDR and DDR , but just only can run under one type .
I would want to know why it can't OC .... :-/
"RAM timings too tight"--->can i know what is this ?
this is my mother board ---------->

Attachments

• board.JPG
    board.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 127
You can't overclock to 133 FSB because the Willamettes top out at 2.0 to 2.1 gig like I said in my first post. If you do the math, 17X133=2261 MHz. Without super cooling and high voltages, it ain't going to happen. Sorry.

According to the manual you can't change the cpu voltage. Your board is also not listed with clockgen or speedfan so your probably stuck.

that would be a good start. i am sure you could get a half decent one for under 100 bucks for a p4 that old.

Stick around and read up a bit first though. You can save a lot of money and fustration by learning from the mistakes we've already made here :) .
One thing is that the chip you have was never a good overclocker as batboy stated earlier, I know this from personal experience myself. So figure out what you can afford then go from there leaving yourself room to upgrade, ie if you can't afford to replace the cpu and motherboard then make sure the motherboard you buy can work with a better cpu also. Asus, Abit, Gigabyte are a few of the boards that "ussualy" have good overclocking capabilities. Make sure that the board you get has "AGP/PCI lock"

TZH said:
shall i buy a new main board to OC ???

As batboy already said (twice), the CPU is not going to clock much higher anyway. A new mainboard alone will not help you much if anything at all.

Here's the situation. That mobo you have is a micro ATX. That probably means the case you have is too small for a regular ATX form factor mobo. I'm not positive though since I don't know what case you have. The other thing to keep in mind is that i865/i875 chipsets (which are the best socket 478 mobos) usually won't support the old Willamette processor. At least that Willamette you have is a socket 478 and not the completely obsolete socket 423. Upgrading your system will cause a snowball effect. You get a new mobo and then you'll need a new CPU, along with a new case. Next, you'll probably need to get two sticks of faster RAM for dual channel. If this is an OEM computer like Dell or something like that, there is a chance the power supply is not a standard one, so now you have to replace that too. You'll probably need a better PSU anyway. See? It's almost better just to save up and build a new system from scratch. In the meantime, just use your system like it is to get you by.

batboy said:
Here's the situation. That mobo you have is a micro ATX. That probably means the case you have is too small for a regular ATX form factor mobo. I'm not positive though since I don't know what case you have. The other thing to keep in mind is that i865/i875 chipsets (which are the best socket 478 mobos) usually won't support the old Willamette processor. At least that Willamette you have is a socket 478 and not the completely obsolete socket 423. Upgrading your system will cause a snowball effect. You get a new mobo and then you'll need a new CPU, along with a new case. Next, you'll probably need to get two sticks of faster RAM for dual channel. If this is an OEM computer like Dell or something like that, there is a chance the power supply is not a standard one, so now you have to replace that too. You'll probably need a better PSU anyway. See? It's almost better just to save up and build a new system from scratch. In the meantime, just use your system like it is to get you by.

exactly.

Dont polish a turnip.

intel and amd , who is the best ?
i think i should buy a new PC .
what kinds of RAM that i should buy ?
what kinds of power suply i need ?
the mother board should be MSI , ASUS ,ABIT OR GIGABYTE ,right ?

Back