• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still over heating.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Magic_Shroomx90

Registered
Hey,
Recently my video card started to over heat and freeze. everytime i would play a game or something that involved my video card a lot. So i took my case side off and it would take like 5 hours in a game for it to over heat so i could bare it.

Yesterday i bought and hooked up a dual fan card in my pci slot directly under my video card. So i figured i would close the case after 5 mintues of playing counter-strike it froze again. I have 2 fans above and to the side of it and 2 directly under my it. I really have no clue why it is over heating. I'm begining to think its not over heating its a driver problem?

I have the latest drivers from ati.com

i have a 9600xt (256mb) Brand: Sapphire

how do u know its the video card that's overheating? not the CPU or something and then the mobo restarting the comp because of possible heat damage...

Does this help?

does this help?

tempature.bmp

Is that during gameplay, or is that idle? A CPU temp of 59 when it's idle is pretty high, and when you play games, it's only going to get higher. It could very well be the CPU.

That was idle about 5 mintues after i restarted after a crash. the only programs that where running was mozzila and aim.

Would a better heat sink fix this problem? Because im only using the one that came with my cpu witch is a AMD athlon 3200+ not oced.

<edit>

Id get a new hsf for the cpu. As said the temp is rather high for being idle.

You could probably solve you CPU temperature problem by remounting the stock heatsink and using Arctic Silver 5 as the TIM. Even the stock heatsink isn't bad enough to get you 59C idle.

what is TIM you mean like the paste inbetween the heat sink and cpu.

Your pretty sure if i use that product it will fix my problems?

Magic_Shroomx90 said:
what is TIM you mean like the paste inbetween the heat sink and cpu.

Your pretty sure if i use that product it will fix my problems?

Yes, that would b the thermal paste u apply.
It would really help if u use high quality TIM, like AS5.
Looking at the pic, ur Vcore is running at 1.744V,
u may try to lower it down. Since ur not OCing, 1.65V is the default.

TIM = Thermal Interface Material
HSF = HeatSink n Fan

get a new hsf, put some arctic silver 5 on it, and then see what your temps look like. also, when you put fans in your case, make sure you're aware of what direction they are blowing. the point of fans is to suck cool air into the front of the case, blow warm air out the back, and take the heat from the sinks along with it. so any fans you put should contribute to your airflow. make sure that it isn't just circulating hot air back onto your parts. those temps are really high for that processor. if you don't know how to properly apply thermal paste, then let me know and i'll tell you. or if somebody else gets to it first then they can tell you. for help like this, you're in the right place.

tempature.bmp

Not even a stock heatsink will give that bad of a problem. I suggest that you take of the heatsink and put it back on (remount). Do not forget to apply an ultra thin layer of thermal paste. The type of thermal paste doesn't matter much if your running stock. If your overclocking then you'd better getter the premium stuff. Also, applying too much paste will cause the paste to bubble, so always use as little paste as possible. There should be just enough paste to see to the core of the CPU. Also, if you are using a CPU that does not have a heatspreader (a giant plate as the top part of the CPU) then only apply it to the black thing; do not apply it to the surrounding parts which have a green, brown or greyish color.

-PS-

ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS have fans controling the airflow of your case. Have at least 1exhaust fan. Normally 1 intake fan, 1 exhaust fan and 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans are what is required to have good airflow. By not having good airflow, the heat from all your components will accumulate in your case. This is a bad thing; a higher ambient temperature will cause all your components to heat up.

Last edited:
GáTê©rÀ$Hë® said:
Looking at the pic, ur Vcore is running at 1.744V,
u may try to lower it down. Since ur not OCing, 1.65V is the default.

My thoughts too.
Vcore= Voltage to the cpu. The more voltage the hotter it gets.
Do as GáTê©rÀ$Hë® says and lower the vcore to it's default voltage. It will run much cooler.

EDIT: And you might want to upgrade your powersupply. The 3.3v is too low. AFAIK, the ATX-standard says +/- 5% and yours is -10%.

aww jeez...i just realized im getting similar results....damn thats not good! lol ne way when i game it usually gets up to 60C where after that it shuts down (i set the BIOS it so it does so)...i only have 1x80mm intake fan....and 1x120mm exaust (PSU FAN...usually set as low as possible) recently...i just keep the case door open....mabe i should reseat my HS? and why the hell does it take such an incedible amount of force to put on the HS (as i did when building my compy)...and if i DO take off my HS...will i NEED to reapply some TIM or leave as is (if undamaged)?

by the way magic shroom....ur 3.3v line is .3 off...could be monitoring software but if its accurate...it might be a bad thing

I'd lower that VCore first if i were you... if default is 1.65v as stated above then why are you at 1.7x if not o/c'ing??

You'll find that your temps will improve quite a bit just from that.

Next double check your fans.

Using AS5 or whatever will probably shave off 2-5 celsius (maybe more?) off your temps depending on what's on there now.

Just put the vcore down first before you go out spending money on a heatsink....

Make sure there isnt a bunch of dust and gunk on you HSF. Take the fan off and make sure the fins are clean. This can make a big difference (10+C).

Back